PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] KDE, GNOME, Ubuntu/Kubuntu desktops???

Rubicon421
November 30th, 2008, 05:12 PM
What exactly are KDE, GNOME, and Ubuntu/Kubuntu desktops? What are the pro's and con's to each? Pro's and con's to running more than one, and why would you want/need to?

I have came across a few programs that I either can't install or won't work right. I think it's because I don't have KDE installed. I tried to install it and got an error 'KDE4 cannot be installed on your computer type'. I found a fix for it that told me to install Kubuntu desktop first then try KDE4. When I checked Kubuntu for install in synaptic it listed TONS of stuff that it was going to install. Most of which sounded like all the things I already have in hte applications menu now.

Would this be like installing a new version of Ubuntu and double it's footprint? Any benifit to having both?

OrangeCrate
November 30th, 2008, 05:17 PM
What exactly are KDE, GNOME, and Ubuntu/Kubuntu desktops? What are the pro's and con's to each? Pro's and con's to running more than one, and why would you want/need to?

I have came across a few programs that I either can't install or won't work right. I think it's because I don't have KDE installed. I tried to install it and got an error 'KDE4 cannot be installed on your computer type'. I found a fix for it that told me to install Kubuntu desktop first then try KDE4. When I checked Kubuntu for install in synaptic it listed TONS of stuff that it was going to install. Most of which sounded like all the things I already have in hte applications menu now.

Would this be like installing a new version of Ubuntu and double it's footprint? Any benifit to having both?

This site should help you to understand the various WMs, and Desktop environments available for Linux...

http://xwinman.org/

slacker9876
November 30th, 2008, 05:19 PM
KDE and GNOME are desktop environments, Ubuntu / Kubuntu are operating systems. Think back to Windows 95 ... Windows 95 was a desktop environment and DOS was the operating system. It is the same thing in Linux. GNOME and KDE are just different choices. I used KDE for my first couple years and I am now on GNOME in Unubtu. They are both reliable, stable and robust.

To install KDE on Ubuntu all you need to do is go to the command line and type
sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop This will install KDE and all the dependancies. Both are great and in 5 years I see no reason why one is better then the other. I equate KDE to Windows XP and Gnome as Mac OS X. Granted this is not what they are ... just a way to look at them.

kansasnoob
November 30th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Look at this section:

Playing Around
Enable Desktop Effects
KDE/Gnome Comparison
Install KDE
Install XFCE
Install IceWM
Pure Gnome
Pure KDE
Pure XFCE
Replacing Nautilus

of this tutorial:

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/index

Rubicon421
November 30th, 2008, 05:34 PM
KDE and GNOME are desktop environments, Ubuntu / Kubuntu are operating systems. Think back to Windows 95 ... Windows 95 was a desktop environment and DOS was the operating system. It is the same thing in Linux. GNOME and KDE are just different choices. I used KDE for my first couple years and I am now on GNOME in Unubtu. They are both reliable, stable and robust.

To install KDE on Ubuntu all you need to do is go to the command line and type
sudo apt-get install kubuntu-desktop This will install KDE and all the dependancies. Both are great and in 5 years I see no reason why one is better then the other. I equate KDE to Windows XP and Gnome as Mac OS X. Granted this is not what they are ... just a way to look at them.
So It take it you regularly use both? Do you run into any problems by having both installed? I only have GNOME, what am I missing (or what do you use) in KDE?

Rubicon421
November 30th, 2008, 06:05 PM
There seems to be quite a few ascetic differences. What major differences are there in functionality? Will I be able to use the same programs I use in Ubuntu or will I need a new version of FireFox, Amarok, etc...? Are there new programs that I can use now that aren't available in GNOME?