PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] getting Smbfs to work in 8.10

geekyhawkes
November 30th, 2008, 02:10 PM
Hi;

I am trying to get smbfs working in 8.10. I have found the following thread but as a fairly new guy to ubuntu i need a little bit more detail to the process / bash commands.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=707370

Help well recieved thanks.

geekyhawkes
December 1st, 2008, 11:31 AM
Anyone able to give me a chat through this please?

albandy
December 1st, 2008, 11:32 AM
Exactly what do you want to do with smbfs, share volumes or acces them?

albandy
December 1st, 2008, 11:53 AM
mount a volume from console:

sudo smbmount //smbserver.yourdomain.extension/user$ /mnt/samba -o username=yourusername,workgroup=YOURWORKGROUPORDOM AIN

if you want do do it automatically when a user logs in I recomend you pam_mount

geekyhawkes
December 1st, 2008, 01:35 PM
Sorry, i should have been more clear. I have been having lots of problems getting my freecom network drive to work correctly with smb and I was hoping to try smbfs just to rule out any cifs incompatibilty. The drive worked fine under windows, and always works via ftp. THe problem i have is that i cannot get it to mount via fstab so i wanted to use smbfs and see if that helped.

albandy, i was under the impression i had to compile smb from source if i wanted to use smbfs? The nas netbios name is FND and the share i am after is PUBLIC so should i type

sudo smbmount //FND/PUBLIC/username$ /mnt/samba -o username=username,workgroup=workgroup ???

Sorry im just a bit confused about the .extension/user$ bit.

Im guessing pam_mount would remove the need for an entry in fstab?

Thanks for your help.

albandy
December 1st, 2008, 02:22 PM
The $ means hidden in windows shares, in my case the home directory is hidden so I should use a $ at the end.

for example, if you are sharing a folder with share name music you'll mount this way:

sudo smbmount //FND/PUBLIC/music /mnt/samba -o username=username,workgroup=workgroup