PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] getting rid of the partition

Rrory
November 30th, 2008, 09:38 AM
I'm getting a netbook for my only necessary Window -only program: Dragon & turning my partitioned laptop over entirely to Ubuntu.
I've sent for the CD for 8.10 will it get rid of my partition for me? or do I have to do more.
Rory

ugm6hr
November 30th, 2008, 09:44 AM
If you want to over-write your HD, then the LiveCD will do that for you (just selecet the Guided - Use entire disk option).

If you want to create separate /home partition, that will take a little extra work in preparation: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/partitioning

lametike
November 30th, 2008, 10:14 AM
hey,would gparted help in this case?

Elfy
November 30th, 2008, 10:27 AM
hey,would gparted help in this case?

It would - if the op wanted to do more than use the whole disc for the install. You'll find gparted mentioned on the tutorial ugm6r links to.

I don't profess to know what the cd installer actually uses to do it's partitioning, but there is a version of gparted on the livecd - partition editor.

Rrory
November 30th, 2008, 10:05 PM
I tried a live install with Heron & I messed up so much I sent for the CD, which did everything smoothly.
So can I overwrite my entire HD with the CD?
Rory

I love Ubuntu so much as I don't have to be so technically savvy and it is easier & does everything better than Windows XP...

Elfy
November 30th, 2008, 10:15 PM
Indeed, when you reach the partition part of the installation choose the guided - use whole disk option (I think that's what it's called, the sentiment is the same though)

That will overwrite the whole disk and install ubuntu to the whole disk.