PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] New User would like GUI in Ubuntu Server 8.10

Yaegermeister
November 30th, 2008, 08:02 AM
Hello,

I have just literally installed Ubuntu Server 8.10 and when it boots up all I get is the terminal. I log in using the username and password that I established during setup.

Here is what I would like to be able to do. Have a GUI. I don't know Linux enough to do it all from the command line. Maybe someday but not yet. I want to do mainly two things with this server. One is to put files on a drive on the server that I can access from the NET wherever I happen to be. Two I would like to use this as a host for online gaming. I am pretty sure that this can be done with this software but I do not know how to do it.

Can someone help me get a GUI and setup a DHCP so this machine can connect to the internet. Thank you!

PS. No issues during installation. Did not setup networking settings.

John

cariboo
November 30th, 2008, 08:12 AM
To install the Ubuntu desktop at the prompt type:

sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop gdm

This will install the desktop and its dependencies. This will also install network manager which will automagically set up your internet connection.

Jim

Xiong Chiamiov
November 30th, 2008, 08:23 AM
Of note is that you don't need Ubuntu Server for it to act as a server; Server edition merely has a lot of the normal desktop crap cut out that is normally installed, but you probably want.

Yaegermeister
November 30th, 2008, 08:33 AM
Thanks Cariboo907, I will give it a go in the morning.

Xiong, So would I be able to do what I want to with the desktop version?

John

Xiong Chiamiov
November 30th, 2008, 08:36 AM
You would. The only difference between the versions (besides a slightly different kernel) is the packages preinstalled. If you're not comfortable with Linux and the terminal yet, then I'd suggest starting with the normal desktop version. If you gain enough knowledge later and want to improve performance by cutting out the GUI, you can do so.

Yaegermeister
December 1st, 2008, 01:08 AM
Ok,

I tried the sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop gdm and I get the following:

Reading package lists...done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information...done
E: Could not find package ubuntu-desktop

It brings me back to the server@ubuntu:~$ prompt.

Any ideas?

Thanks, John

halitech
December 1st, 2008, 01:11 AM
might not be connected to the net yet. issue this command and post back the info

cat /etc/network/interfaces

Dr Small
December 1st, 2008, 01:11 AM
Bust solution is to reinstall with the Desktop edition if you are not comfortable with a command line, as that's what the server edition was built for.

halitech
December 1st, 2008, 01:15 AM
why go through downloading and reinstalling if he has server installed? would be easier just to install what he needs in one command in thee terminal then get synaptic and install the rest of what he wants.

Dr Small
December 1st, 2008, 01:17 AM
why go through downloading and reinstalling if he has server installed? would be easier just to install what he needs in one command in thee terminal then get synaptic and install the rest of what he wants.
It is possible, but the other way is meerly more simple if he has the Desktop cd laying on his desk.

halitech
December 1st, 2008, 01:42 AM
I guess we are both making assumptions, you assume they have the desktop cd and their system can handle the install of such and I assumed we will easily be able to get their network up and running easily. Let's see what happens :)

louieb
December 1st, 2008, 02:39 AM
Ok, I tried the sudo apt-get install ubuntu-desktop gdm and I get ...
1st try getting an IP address

sudo dhclient
then try updating your software sources

sudo aptitude updatethen bring your software up to date

sudo aptitude full-upgradethen try adding the desktop.