PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] MODEM help: Just when I thought Windows had Gone

Andavane
November 30th, 2008, 05:13 AM
Hello
Due to an administrative c***-up from my service provider, my broadband was prematurely disconnected. The company has beamingly
offered me "free dial-up", which I'm using for this post, on a winmodem on an old IBM machine running Windows XP.

So my question:

Modems have dwindled in our household as they're usually not supplied any more in PC's.

But I think I'd better have an external modem which would work well with linux/ubuntu for eventualities such as this.

I believe it would not be too expensive.

Now I understand that the difficulty has always been when using modem with linux is that most were somehow locked to proprietary Windows.

And I see my laptop, a Sony Vaio VGN-S3HP which came with XP and is now solely running Hardy, came with a modem, has a modem option which I have put in the bar at the top.

So if I have the time, I guess I could plug the modem cable into my Sony... but I have no clue as to how to proceed, and as yet assume that I cannot connect it to the net.

Any help or advice on modems (and how to keep the optiuon there as emergency reserve) would be very welcome.

Kind regards

John

jimmy the saint
November 30th, 2008, 05:17 AM
check out this thread:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=997409
it is still on the first page. the third and fourth posts will answer your questions.