PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Do I have to install an older version? If so, how?

GregWI
November 30th, 2008, 03:22 AM
I installed Ubuntu vs 8.04 on two machines, both being 1.2G Celeron, 512M Ram, 20G hard drive. Several items do not seem to work as they did when I installed 7.10 AMD64 on an AMD Athlon dual core 64 (2.4G) with 2G memory on a 40G hard drive.
For example: When accessing the preferences and sound, with 7.10 I could access a wav file I had in the music folder as a log on sound and it worked beautifully. However, with 8.04, suddenly I have no sound from log on and even the default sounds won't play - not unless I reboot will the default sounds play, but I cannot access a wav file or nothing will play.
Also, on 8.04 when accessing panel, panel loads but does not execute. The circle is spinning indicating that panel is loading, but when the cursor returns, panel is not there. However, with 7.10, panel worked great! The floppy formatter with 8.04 doesn't seem to work either. Are these bugs with 8.04, or is 8.04 really meant for a newer, more advanced system? Either way, should I, or can I just insert the 7.10 Ubuntu CD and install 7.10 over an 8.04 system? If so, is it as easy as installing Ubuntu on a raw hard drive?

Bölvağur
November 30th, 2008, 03:36 AM
Are these bugs with 8.04, or is 8.04 really meant for a newer, more advanced system? Either way, should I, or can I just insert the 7.10 Ubuntu CD and install 7.10 over an 8.04 system? If so, is it as easy as installing Ubuntu on a raw hard drive?

8.04 is not necessarily for new computers, should work fine (I was running it on about 5 year old laptop with less than 500mb in ram).
I guess you used the update to switch from 7.10 to 8.04.... I recommend doing a fresh install to newer version or at least be prepared to seeing a broken system after update.

You could just insert the old cd in and overwrite the current setup, and it will not be any different from installing on a blank hd (except there are some partitions on it now.. but they might as well be empty).

You could also get the 8.04 or 8.10 and try it out as a fresh install. 8.04 is long term service release but 8.10 is only good for 2 years (or was it less?).

GregWI
November 30th, 2008, 03:45 AM
As I said, version 8.04 was installed on two older Celeron machines, on raw (empty, unformatted) 20G hard drives. Ubuntu 7.10 AMD 64 was installed on an AMD Athlon dual core 64 machine on a 40G hard drive

bruce89
November 30th, 2008, 03:47 AM
You could also get the 8.04 or 8.10 and try it out as a fresh install. 8.04 is long term service release but 8.10 is only good for 2 years (or was it less?).

18 months to be precise.

Anyway, there isn't much change between versions hardware requirement wise, but a slow increase over a long time.