PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Need help installing NDISwrapper utilities

hitemhrd
November 29th, 2008, 06:56 PM
My ubuntu system is not hooked up to the internet. But I do have a Windows XP system online. Is there a way to download the NDISwrapper utilities to my xp machine and then install them on my Ubuntu machine? I need this so I can get my wireless card installed on Ubuntu.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

caljohnsmith
November 29th, 2008, 07:15 PM
My ubuntu system is not hooked up to the internet. But I do have a Windows XP system online. Is there a way to download the NDISwrapper utilities to my xp machine and then install them on my Ubuntu machine? I need this so I can get my wireless card installed on Ubuntu.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Sure, just go to:

http://packages.ubuntu.com

And download the "ndiswrapper-utils-1.9" package and the "ndiswrapper-common" package for your version of Ubuntu, put them on your Ubuntu Desktop, open a terminal (Applications > Accessories > Terminal) and do:

sudo dpkg -i ~/Desktop/ndis*.deb
And I think that should work. Let me know if you run into problems though.

aysiu
November 29th, 2008, 08:22 PM
I'd also install ndisgtk so you have a graphical frontend for ndiswrapper. Might make your life a little easier.

hitemhrd
November 29th, 2008, 08:37 PM
You rock. I got the ndiswrapper utilities installed however I had to use version 1.8 because of compatibilities with Ubuntu version 6.06. That being the case, where can I find the previous version of ndisgtk? Version 0.6 needs version 1.9 of ndiwsrapper and I have 1.8 so it won't install.

Thanks for all of your help. I'm very novice with Linux as you can tell.

aysiu
November 29th, 2008, 08:46 PM
http://packages.ubuntu.com/dapper/ndisgtk

hitemhrd
November 29th, 2008, 09:00 PM
Got it. Trying to use now. I'll let you know how it works.

hitemhrd
November 29th, 2008, 10:05 PM
Awesome! I'm close. I got the wrapper installed, then got ndisgtk to work. I got the driver installed with the ngdiskgt but it says the usb adaptor is not present. What is the last step to get Ubuntu to see that the hardware is connected and associate the driver with that hardware?