PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] About Maya 2008

sundarrajan
November 29th, 2008, 03:24 PM
Is Maya 2008 available for Multimedia Creation in Ubuntu if then where i can get this Package specify the url ?:guitar:

kayosiii
November 30th, 2008, 09:44 PM
Ubuntu packages only free software by default (free as in speech even) - Last time I checked Maya was ~2000 for the cheepest option... All versions apart from the free learning edition (free as in beer) are availble for linux from autodesk and I think the license is crossplatform so if you own a copy of maya for windows then you can obtain the linux version free of charge.

Install is not as straight forwards as it could be so search these forums for advice on doing that. If Maya is outside your price-range... Houdini offer a free version and a cheap version and is a skillset highly sought after by realworld employers - and blender has really been picking up steam of late (this one is installed in Ubuntu Studio by default).

Hope that helps

aeacides
December 1st, 2008, 01:59 AM
++ for Houdini. You can get a version without embbeded image for 99$, and Ubuntu/Debian distro are supported.

Otherwise, I think Maya is only officially supported on Fedora ... but you should get it on Ubuntu. There's already one thread dedicated to Maya installation on this forum.

What about Blender ;-p ?

sundarrajan
December 1st, 2008, 05:20 AM
About Blender :

Blender is a free software its not like maya or Houdini ..
Blender can be installed by the Terminal Command

$ sudo aptitude install blender