PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] [SOLVED] Change Directory to output of command

maandverband
November 29th, 2008, 12:03 PM
In the English version of Ubuntu you can type

cd ~/Desktop

to CD to the Desktop. This doesn't work in other languages, because the names are localized. When typing the command

xdg-user-dir DESKTOP

the output of this command will tell you the location of the Desktop for the current user. For example /home/USERNAME/Bureaublad. Now you know you have to CD to Bureaublad instead of Desktop.

Is there a way to give the output of the xdg-user-dit command to the cd command, using the pipe character or something? I can't figure out how to do this.

This way I don't have to think about the language of the user, because the command will work for every language.

PmDematagoda
November 29th, 2008, 12:42 PM
You can do something like that by using the command in this way(sort of like piping input):-

cd `xdg-user-dir DESKTOP`
the " ` "s are not single quotes, but backward quotes(or whatever they are called). You may be able to set this as a special command by specifying it as an alias in .bashrc.

maandverband
November 29th, 2008, 07:15 PM
Thank you very much. I already tried your command using double quotes and using single quotes, but it never came to my mind to try the command using backward quotes.