PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Wired LAN Not Working

mossmotorsport
November 28th, 2008, 07:41 PM
Hi all, sorry to be such a noob, lots of experience with computing but today fancied installing Ubuntu to start playing around. Ran it off Live CD and internet etc was working perfectly. Installed it to HDD and it will not automatically detect internet at all. It just keeps saying "Network Disconnected" and "No Network Connection."

Searched forums, and google but cant find any answers. Not sure what other useful comments to put down - other than its the latest 8.10 version and I'm using Virgin Media Cable as my ISP through a Linksys WRT300 Wireless N Router. Any help greatly appreciated!:)

meastwood
November 28th, 2008, 08:11 PM
I guess your're using dhcp -

1. can you ping your router?
2. what's the ouput of
# ifconfig
# route
3. are your nameservers set up in /etc/resolv.conf
4. is your NIC set to be automatically enabled on boot
/etc/network/interfaces
5. is your wireless router acting as a dhcp server

debeyt
November 28th, 2008, 10:08 PM
I have the same problem. I am using Apple's Time Capsule to which the Ubuntu machine is attached by wire, not wireless. I also keep getting the "Disconnected" message. I have also tried another NIC but to no avail. When I attach a spare MacBook onto the wire, it works fine.

Any ideas?

mossmotorsport
November 28th, 2008, 10:13 PM
No ideas from me yet, I've had enough of it and gone back to Windows Vista - at least that works out the box. I cant see how it works from the CD but as soon as you install a local copy it forgets everything. Its probably really simple, but with Linux there is no simple step-by-step plain english how to guides.

Im not a novice with computers either, I have a degree in computing science and design websites for a living!

debeyt
November 28th, 2008, 10:22 PM
For me it has worked all along with the previous version of Ubuntu. I had a disk crash and put in a new drive and installed version 8.10. Now no more internet. By the way, it didn't work for me running it from the CD either.

cariboo
November 28th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Can you run in a Applications-->Accessories-->Terminal:

sudo lshw -C network > network.txt

This will create a text file with all the network hardware details. If you can copy the text file to your windows partition and paste it into your next post this would help a great deal in solving your networking problem.

Jim

mossmotorsport
November 28th, 2008, 10:42 PM
I will try pasting that code in tomorrow - thanks for that it will be useful to see what network problems I might be facing

debeyt
November 28th, 2008, 11:13 PM
Can you run in a Applications-->Accessories-->Terminal:

sudo lshw -C network > network.txt

This will create a text file with all the network hardware details. If you can copy the text file to your windows partition and paste it into your next post this would help a great deal in solving your networking problem.

Jim
Tried that but get "bash: network.txt: Permission denied" message

Also, suddenly I was connected - how I don't know. Tried to open FireFox which kept looking for about 8 minutes getting nowhere. Then connection disconnected again. hasn't come back since.

Further suggestions?

debeyt
November 28th, 2008, 11:36 PM
Tried that but get "bash: network.txt: Permission denied" message

Also, suddenly I was connected - how I don't know. Tried to open FireFox which kept looking for about 8 minutes getting nowhere. Then connection disconnected again. hasn't come back since.

Further suggestions?

Again connected(?)- somewhat. Icon stated that I was not connected. However I was able to ping machines on the network and even google! Running dhclient also seemed to think I was connected as it stated:
"DHCPACK of 10.0.1.193 from 10.0.1.1"
"bound to 10.0.1.193 .. renewal in 5974 seconds"

Mean anything?

mossmotorsport
November 28th, 2008, 11:49 PM
Under Live CD (which internet works fine on) it brings up

*-network
description: Ethernet interface
product: 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
vendor: Marvell Technology Group Ltd.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
logical name: eth0
version: 12
serial: 00:22:15:02:98:38
size: 100MB/s
capacity: 1GB/s
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm vpd msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=sky2 driverversion=1.22 duplex=full firmware=N/A ip=192.168.1.100 latency=0 link=yes module=sky2 multicast=yes port=twisted pair speed=100MB/s
*-network DISABLED
physical id: 1
logical name: pan0
serial: d6:83:50:32:9b:17
capabilities: ethernet physical
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=bridge driverversion=2.3 firmware=N/A link=yes multicast=yes

Will post up local HDD copy when its installed again...

mossmotorsport
November 29th, 2008, 12:15 AM
Below is the result from my local copy once installed to the HDD. Still wont go online though or connect to local LAN

*-network
product: 88E8056 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller
vendor: Marvell Technology Group Ltd.
physical id: 0
bus info: pci@0000:02:00.0
logical name: eth0
version: 12
serial: 00:22:15:02:98:38
size: 100MB/s
capacity: 1GB/s
width: 64 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm vpd msi pciexpress bus_master cap_list ethernet physical tp 10bt 10bt-fd 100bt 100bt-fd 1000bt 1000bt-fd autonegotiation
configuration: autonegotiation=on broadcast=yes driver=sky2 driverversion=1.22 duplex=full firmware=N/A latency=0 link=yes module=sky2 multicast=yes port=twisted pair speed=100MB/s
*-network DISABLED
physical id: 1
logical name: pan0
serial: ea:67:f5:86:0d:3b
capabilities: ethernet physical
configuration: broadcast=yes driver=bridge driverversion=2.3 firmware=N/A link=yes multicast=yes

mossmotorsport
November 29th, 2008, 12:25 PM
Bump! Anyone got any ideas on how to fix this issue? I have a few PM's from people having the same problem too.