PDA

View Full Version : Why kochi gothic and mincho fonts etc. installed by default.

philinux
November 28th, 2008, 11:03 AM
Surely if you choose your preferred language all these extra fonts should not get installed.

It's easy to install them after should anyone need them.

TenPlus1
November 28th, 2008, 12:18 PM
I dare say the fonts may be kept for websites displaying another language, so it appears correctly...

philinux
November 28th, 2008, 12:37 PM
I doubt I'd be visiting a Japanese website without it being translated into English.

avb
December 1st, 2008, 07:57 AM
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubuntu-meta/+bug/42926

i already filled a bug about a year ago regarding this issue. But seems nobody cares.

sloggerkhan
December 1st, 2008, 08:03 AM
I'd like to have fonts covering most glyphs installed by default so characters render properly on international websites. I think it makes sense to have basic glyph coverage out of the box for most large languages... European like german, spanish, others like hindu, japanese, chinese, etc... I don't need extra fonts in these languages, but it does make sense to have a font that includes coverage of their glyphs.

Starks
December 1st, 2008, 08:27 AM
Installing foreign fonts is a nightmare on Mac and Windows.

Keep Kochi in.

meborc
December 1st, 2008, 10:20 AM
Surely if you choose your preferred language all these extra fonts should not get installed.

It's easy to install them after should anyone need them.

they don't take that much space... or why would you rather not have them?

philinux
December 1st, 2008, 04:53 PM
they don't take that much space... or why would you rather not have them?

Ok to have them on the livecd but once I've chosen my language that should be it. All the other languages fonts are available in the repo's should anyone need them.

ssam
December 3rd, 2008, 04:41 PM
auto font install would solve this.
http://blogs.gnome.org/hughsie/2008/12/01/packagekit-and-pango-are-now-friends/

try installing ubuntu on a 2GB eeepc. you need to remove packages to have enough disk space to log in. i managed to remove 200mb on unnecessary packages, and the bulk was fonts.

Gina
December 3rd, 2008, 07:33 PM
You can't expect to install a full Ubuntu distro in 2GB - but you can do a minimal install without all the packages. You could install a CLI only version then add whatever packages you want. If you want a GUI then xfce is smaller than gnome and there are smaller web browsers that Firefox - like the one Xubuntu uses (forget it's name ATM). Same applies to the other apps. Standard Ubuntu is a full-featured distro and is NOT small.