PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Network access permissions.

jmail524
November 28th, 2008, 06:12 AM
I have a server running Ubuntu 8.10/Samba. One of the server's partitions is setup to be shared over the network. I have configured my desktop to connect to the server automatically during boot up.

My problem is that I can see the shared network drive but I can't write any files/folders to it. I have tried using sudo chmod and sudo chown to change permissions but I get an error saying I don't have permission to change permissions of the network files/folders.

Any ideas. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.
Brian

cariboo
November 28th, 2008, 09:41 AM
If you set the permissions of your share to be world readable by using the following command:

sudo chmod -R 777 /share

You should be able to access the share from anywhere on the network.

Jim

superprash2003
November 28th, 2008, 04:55 PM
maybe you havent told samba to allow writing.. have you added the shares manually to the smb.conf file?

jmail524
November 28th, 2008, 11:21 PM
Thanks for the replies.

cariboo907: "sudo chmod -R 777 /share" yields the response - "chmod: changing permissions of '/share': Permission denied" (Yes I replaced the /share with the name of my shared path.)

superprash2003: I checked the 'smb.conf' file and there is a line called 'writeable=yes'. Also I tried changing it to 'writable=yes' since 'writeable' is incorrect English (although it is apparently accepted in computer terminology), but it made no difference.

If I create a folder in the shared drive on the server, I can change the permissions of that folder from my desktop. However, I cannot create any folders from my desktop through the network and I cannot create any folders or files under the folder that I just changed permissions on.

The really weird thing is. I have two shared partitions which were setup identically and my other partition is not giving me any of these problems.

Thanks for the help. I am willing to try any other suggestions you may have.

Brian

superprash2003
November 29th, 2008, 12:15 PM
after making changes, you need to restart samba, if it still doesnt work, posting your smb.conf may help

jmail524
November 30th, 2008, 01:24 AM
superprash2003: After making changes to 'smb.conf', I used the command 'sudo /etc/init.d/samba restart' to restart samba. (I think that is how its done.)

Here is a copy of my 'smb.conf':

[global]
workgroup = HOME
server string = %h server (Samba, Ubuntu)
log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
max log size = 1000
syslog = 0
panic action = /usr/share/samba/panic-action %d
dns proxy = no
security = share
; encrypt passwords = yes
; guest ok = no
; guest account = nobody

[recordings]
path = /media/recordings
writeable = yes
; browseable = yes
guest ok = yes
comment = TV Recordings

[media]
comment = Audio/Video Files
path = /media/media
writeable = yes
; browseable = yes
guest ok = yes

[archive]
comment = Shared Network Archive
path = /media/archive
writeable = yes
; browseable = yes
guest ok = yes

All of the shared partition are XFS if that makes any difference.

Thanks.
Brian

jmail524
December 1st, 2008, 01:41 AM
A little more info.

If I create a folder under a normal users credentials on my server and then change the permissions of that folder, I can then create a file or folder through the network on my client computer. However, I don't have the permission to alter/delete the file or folder I have created until I run 'chmod -R 777 folder/file'.

If I create folders or files under the network browser in Gnome (Places/Network/etc...), I can read and write without any permission issues.

Thanks.
Brian