PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu 8.10 Hates Me!

Mkow
November 28th, 2008, 05:55 AM
I recently upgraded from 8.04 to 8.10, and after that both my sound and my Wacom tablet stopped working. I run a webcomic, so at least once a day I have to sit down with some music on and draw, so this is less than ideal!

For the tablet, I tried both solutions posted here (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Wacom), and all I managed to do was kill X. I got it back again though by restoring my original xorg.conf.

For sound, I tried this (http://onlyubuntu.blogspot.com/2008/11/fix-for-no-sound-issue-in-ubuntu-810.html) solution, and it made no difference.

I also dual-boot with Windows XP, and the tablet and sound both seem fine there. I hate being forced back to Windows though!

If there is no easy solution to these problems, is there an easy was to downgrade from 8.10 to 8.4? I used Hardy for months and never had any troubles, so I don't mind waiting it out until Ubuntu 9....

overdrank
November 28th, 2008, 12:06 PM
If there is no easy solution to these problems, is there an easy was to downgrade from 8.10 to 8.4? I used Hardy for months and never had any troubles, so I don't mind waiting it out until Ubuntu 9....

Hi and no you can not downgrade to Hardy 8.04, you can do a clean install. I would suggest sticking with Hardy as it was working and has LTS long term support.

skymera
November 28th, 2008, 12:08 PM
Hi, yeah i suggest a fresh install of 8.04LTS.

Upgrading to 8.10 was more than dissapointing.

If 8.04 works for you, that's great :D Since it's supported for many years.

Keen101
November 28th, 2008, 12:15 PM
Yeah. just use the 8.04 LTS release until the next LTS release , and then upgrade.

hyper_ch
November 28th, 2008, 01:09 PM
It is adviced to use a descriptive topic title, that means a topic title that gives some clue about the content in the thread itself...

A generic topic title like "noob here" or "need help" does not help at all. As you may have noticed, just about everyone posting in here has some kind of a problem or issue or question ;)

And it is also adviced to use seperate threads for unrelated problems so that you can mark each one individually as solved.

Or in short terms: Help others to help you ;)

Also, when you are asked to post output from (config) files or from a command, use
brackets around (each) output. That makes it also easier to read.