PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Zareason or System 76?

leupi
November 27th, 2008, 07:08 PM
First, I apologize if this is a double post. I thought that I had posted this question a few days ago but I cannot find it so I am posting again as it looks like it did not post.

I am looking to buy a new laptop. My Dell D600 is starting to show its age and I want to support one of the Linux providers. I am looking at both System 76 and Zareason and was wondering if anyone had any thoughts on the two. I have priced out two similar laptops and System 76 comes out a bit better on price and components but I was wondering about quality of hardware and of tech support. My breakdown is as such:

Zareason:
Core 2 Duo T7250 2.0 GHz 2MB
3GB RAM
320GB hard drive
2 Batteries
Bright glossy 15.4" LCD display @ 1280x800 pixels
nVidia 8600 GS dedicated graphics with 256 MB video RAM
No built-in webcam
$1336.00

System 76
Core 2 Duo P8400 2.26 GHz 1066 MHz FSB 3 MB L2
3GB RAM
320GB hard drive
1 Battery
2 Adapters
15.4" WSXGA+ Super Clear Glossy LCD (1680 x 1050)
nVidia GeForce 9300M GS 256MB DDR2
Built-In Webcam
$1179.00

The System 76 has higher specs at a lower price. My main concern is the quality of the hardware and the support offered. Does anyone have any experience with either of the two? All else being equal I would chose the System 76 model, but the Zareason 'looks' nicer and more solid. Any thoughts are appreciated.

PatrickVogeli
November 27th, 2008, 07:57 PM
I've never bought from either system76 or zeareason, but I look around often in the system 76 forum: the support is great, and people seem to be very happy with their machines.

robertlankford
December 3rd, 2008, 03:39 AM
I just bought a computer from zareason. I've had it about a week, I suppose. I didn't buy a notebook. Rather, I purchased this one:

http://www.zareason.com/shop/product.php?productid=16164&cat=0&page=1

So far, I love it!! The shuttle case is high quality (brushed metal ... solid). It's the nicest system I've ever had. Past systems always had cheaper cases. Computers are computers, but it's certainly nice to have a higher end box for once. Seems luxurious. The coolest thing is that the fan is hardly ever on. So, the system that I bought is almost always silent.

Haven't needed support yet. The only "problem" I've had is that it came with Ubuntu 8.04 instead of 8.10. I was under the impression that I'd get 8.10. No problem, they were nice enough to include the 8.10 CD in the box! Put it in for a re-install and it was 8.04 too! Anyway, I suppose they got the disks mixed up. Were this a Windows computer I guess I'd have had to contact them and get the version difference straightened out. Ubuntu, however, just required a quick download and burning of 8.10 from the internet ... so no worries.

It'll be up to you, but so far I'm happy with Zareason. I think it's neat that they clearly state that you can upgrade whatever you like on your computer without messing with the warranty. In other words, they warranty each of the individual components that they ship with your computer. So, adding a new video card, for instance, won't invalidate the warrant for the RAM.

helmut_hed
May 25th, 2009, 08:18 PM
I have a ZaReason laptop, bought about a year ago. It's a nice machine and worked well initially. Subsequent SW updates (from Ubuntu, not ZaReason) gave me trouble that I had to debug, but that's life with Linux.

My only gripe with ZaReason is they don't have a user forum anywhere that I can find. Would be nice to talk with others about workarounds for the above-mentioned SW problems... or tweaks, or neat things they've done. System76 seems like they have an active forum.

steveneddy
May 25th, 2009, 11:18 PM
System76 - bought from them many times and they provide great customer service before and after the sale along with great hardware.

My two year old Serval performance laptop is still going strong. I use it on the road every day and I performs flawlessly.

yoshiki2
August 11th, 2009, 09:33 PM
where are zareason and system76 located? has zareason any user forums?