PDA

View Full Version : [other] [SOLVED] How do you mount an usb disk in command-line system?

jis
November 27th, 2008, 12:36 PM
My system tells

[ numbers:morenumbers] sd number:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through
[ numbers:differentmorenumbers] sd number:0:0:0: [sdb] Assuming drive cache: write through

after I plug in a USB stick.

obg123
November 27th, 2008, 12:46 PM
It gets assigned a /dev/sd? device id. Just have a look right after your regular disks and cd/dvds, and you shall find it.

Maybe it even gets auto mounted. Have a look under /media and see if you don't find it there. Also check the output from mount.

jis
November 27th, 2008, 01:12 PM
I suppose it is /dev/sdb in this case.

I installed command-line system by this:
http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/dists/hardy/main/installer-i386/current/images/netboot/mini.iso
It does not automount a USB disk so no such item in /media.
If I make a directory mountpoint for it in /media and run "sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /media/mountpoint", I get it mounted :)

prshah
November 27th, 2008, 01:41 PM
It does not automount a USB disk so no such item in /media.
If I make a directory mountpoint for it in /media and run "sudo mount /dev/sdb1 /media/mountpoint", I get it mounted

...but with only root permissions.

You should instead use
sudo gnome-mount /dev/sdb which will create a suitable directory in /media/, and mount the drive with proper permissions, and display it in "Computer" along with suitable mount / eject options.

Also, are you sure it's /dev/sdb? That's unusual, it should be /dev/sdb1 or so.

jis
November 27th, 2008, 01:52 PM
Device is /dev/sdb and partition to mount is /dev/sdb1. I doubt gnome-mount is installed in the system by default but it can be installed.

jis
November 27th, 2008, 02:19 PM
sudo gnome-mount --device /dev/sdb1 creates directory "/media/USB DISK" and uses it as mount point but I can't cd to it.

prshah
November 27th, 2008, 06:51 PM
sudo gnome-mount --device /dev/sdb1 creates directory "/media/USB DISK" and uses it as mount point but I can't cd to it.

Try placing the entire path in quotes or escaping the space character
cd "/media/USB DISK"
cd /media/USB\ DISK

jis
November 27th, 2008, 07:45 PM
It does not help: Permission denied. For some reason, I can't change its permissions. Sudo chown does not complain anything, but the permissions are not changed.

prshah
November 27th, 2008, 08:23 PM
It does not help: Permission denied.

What are the mount directory group, ownership and permissions?
ls -ld /media

It should have owner as root, group as plugdev, and you should be a member of the group plugdev
groups

Make sure you have no entries for /dev/sdb1 in /etc/fstab.

jis
November 27th, 2008, 11:14 PM
/media has owner and group root, same for "/media/USB DISK". But if I use the gnome-mount command as normal user, the latter has the normal user as owner and root as group. Then I can cd to the directory.

Would it be possible to make mounting process automatic?