PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Using a switchbox causes resolution to be lost on logout

White Barry
November 27th, 2008, 09:01 AM
Ok so here's my setup, I use my monitor for both Ubuntu and Xbox 360. I switch between them with a simple A/B VGA switch. When I boot (or logout to main login screen) with the switchbox plugged in, Xorg can no longer see my monitor so it defaults to some crazy low resolution (my best guess is 400x320 lol). But if I pull the plugs and run my monitor direct from the video card and Ctrl+Alt+Bkspace it fixes itself then I can log in like normal and switch between them with no issues.

The problem is, I share the computer with my girlfriend and she needs to have her environment in German while I must keep mine in English. So every time we want to switch users, we have to unplug the switchbox and head back to the login screen. Quite a pain really. Been doing some reading and I can't find anything so far. Basically what I'm looking for is a way to make Xorg not try and detect my monitor and just assume everything is good to go (which it is). Here's my xorg.conf file:

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Generic Keyboard"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "us"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Configured Mouse"
Driver "mouse"
Option "CorePointer"
EndSection

Section "Device"
Identifier "Configured Video Device"
Driver "nvidia"
Option "NoLogo" "True"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
Identifier "Default Screen"
Monitor "Configured Monitor"
Device "Configured Video Device"
Defaultdepth 24
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "Default Layout"
screen "Default Screen"
EndSection
Section "Module"
Load "glx"
EndSection

Halp??

White Barry
December 22nd, 2008, 04:24 PM
Bump ^^

White Barry
January 11th, 2009, 10:32 PM
Any ideas :confused:

White Barry
January 28th, 2009, 05:23 AM
I really hate doing this but still no reply sooooo bump :p

Yashiro
January 28th, 2009, 09:44 AM
It's related to the Nvidia driver and the EDID information from the monitor I think. There's a setting, method of fixing this. Just search the forum for those terms.

Or perhaps it's simpy a case of forcing the right resolution.
I can't do any more, don't have an Nvidia to test it with.

In xorg.conf

Option "UseEDIDFreqs" "FALSE"
Option "ModeValidation" "NoEdidModes, NoEdidMaxPClkCheck"
Might work. Just backup your .conf in case they don't

White Barry
January 28th, 2009, 12:52 PM
It's related to the Nvidia driver and the EDID information from the monitor I think. There's a setting, method of fixing this. Just search the forum for those terms.

Or perhaps it's simpy a case of forcing the right resolution.
I can't do any more, don't have an Nvidia to test it with.

In xorg.conf

Option "UseEDIDFreqs" "FALSE"
Option "ModeValidation" "NoEdidModes, NoEdidMaxPClkCheck"

Might work. Just backup your .conf in case they don't

Which section would the options go into would it be device, screen, or monitor? Thanks in advance.

Yashiro
January 29th, 2009, 02:59 AM
Do some googling on it? Probably the "Device" tree.

White Barry
January 29th, 2009, 04:13 AM
Do some googling on it? Probably the "Device" tree.

Ok thanks for pointing me in the right direction, however, when I added the 2 lines above into the device section, it forces the monitor into the low-res mode (as if the switchbox were plugged it even though it isnt).

Extensive googling has still turned up nothing... Any other ideas?

Thanks for the help so far by the way.

Yashiro
January 29th, 2009, 07:01 AM
Well, we know the lines do something.

So I guess all that's left is for you to manually set the right resolution in your .conf. Just fishing here though, I have an ati.

There's loads of references for setting resolutions though. I did read that for Nvidia cards you can tell it to read the monitor data from a file instead. Saw it on these forums this week.

White Barry
January 29th, 2009, 12:55 PM
Well, we know the lines do something.

So I guess all that's left is for you to manually set the right resolution in your .conf. Just fishing here though, I have an ati.

There's loads of references for setting resolutions though. I did read that for Nvidia cards you can tell it to read the monitor data from a file instead. Saw it on these forums this week.

Awesome thanks for the tip, I won't be able to mess with it today unfortunately but I will let you know sometime tomorrow how it goes. Thanks again, you're being a huge help.