PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Hard Drive can't be recognized on any OS anymore

Progressive
November 27th, 2008, 02:12 AM
I have a backup hard drive that I converted to an external USB hard drive, and it had been working fine until recently.

I was helping a friend install Kubuntu and he needed to back up files and had no backup device. Thus, I brought my external hard drive. I couldn't get the live CD to recognize the drive.

I was able to back up his documents on to a flash drive, and he told me that all of his music was on his ipod, and then I informed him that Amarok could extract all these, so we went ahead and decided to erase windows since we no longer needed any of the data.

I had left the external plugged in and was in process of installing and I believe that it tried to install Kubuntu to the external drive. I was surprised since I thought it wasn't being recognized and cancelled the installation as quickly as I heard the drive start spinning.

Now, however, I am unable to get the drive recognized on my own computer or on the windows computer I am using now, since I am home for thanksgiving.

It isn't showing up in the windows device manager, and I do have ext2ifs for Windows installed. What could be the problem? The drive turns on fine and can hear it spinning with no abnormal sounds.

Is it possible that the installation overwrote the drive's master boot record or some such thing? If it did, wouldn't the drive still show up in the device manager?

Any help would be appreciated

taurus
November 27th, 2008, 02:22 AM
Boot up Ubuntu. Then, plug in that external harddrive and post the output of this command from a terminal.

sudo fdisk -l

Progressive
November 27th, 2008, 10:53 AM
Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System
/dev/sda1 * 1 993 7976241 83 Linux
/dev/sda2 994 1044 409657+ 5 Extended
/dev/sda5 994 1044 409626 82 Linux swap / Solaris

Hellaxe
November 27th, 2008, 01:07 PM
That's very strange.
It should be listed in the
fdisk -l
I recommend you to check it with some of the hardware tool (hiren's or whatever).
Try it in other computer.
If the Hdd is ok we'll try to do something more.