PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] wl active but not responding?

Blaze637
November 26th, 2008, 11:58 PM
Hey everyone,
I just installed ubuntu 8.10 and I would like to use the internet. I see the wl listed in the driver thingy as active, but I can't seem to connect to the internet. I also noticed that the Network tab wasn't in the System > Administration listing. Any help would be appreciated.

Ayuthia
November 27th, 2008, 12:11 AM
Hey everyone,
I just installed ubuntu 8.10 and I would like to use the internet. I see the wl listed in the driver thingy as active, but I can't seem to connect to the internet. I also noticed that the Network tab wasn't in the System > Administration listing. Any help would be appreciated.

There should be a network icon in the panel where you should be able to click and connect. Have you tried this yet?

Blaze637
November 27th, 2008, 12:33 AM
There should be a network icon in the panel where you should be able to click and connect. Have you tried this yet?

I think so, but i really have no idea what i'm doing, should I right or left click the icon. When I left click it, the only accessable option I have is edit vpn connection. when I right click it it only lets me edit connections.

scottmac112
November 27th, 2008, 12:58 AM
Try this in a terminal:

sudo rmmod b43
sudo rmmod b44
sudo rmmod ssb
sudo rmmod wl
sudo modprobe wl
sudo rmmod b44

Does that solve it? You left-click on the network icon to connect to a network. And it might take a few seconds after the fifth line of code to work.

Blaze637
November 27th, 2008, 01:15 AM
Try this in a terminal:

sudo rmmod b43
sudo rmmod b44
sudo rmmod ssb
sudo rmmod wl
sudo modprobe wl
sudo rmmod b44

Does that solve it? You left-click on the network icon to connect to a network. And it might take a few seconds after the fifth line of code to work.

Well, it helped a little. I have more options when I click the network icon now. I think I need to retrace my steps to make sure I didn't goof up somewhere in the help section.

Edit: HAHA! I was stupid and mistyped the sudo thing on two of five of the command lines, thanks scottmac112.