PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Ubuntu makes laptop noisy

ChrisBookwood
November 26th, 2008, 06:45 PM
Hi,

I have a Medion Akoya MD96640 laptop, which I'm very fond of. It never breaks and fullfills my desires, but there one thing I'm a little frustrated about.

The PC shipped with Vista Home Premium, and I had it running with that for about a month, just to try vista out (one have to know his enemy:P) and it was almost noiseless in those days, which is about half a year ago. My sister has the same pc, about a year old, but still very quiet!
Mine, though, isn't! The ventilator is very loud, and I can't do anything but suspect that it's ubuntu that does something wrong in way it's steers the ventilator.

Is there some fix I can apply, to get a more noiseless pc? I have physically cleaned the pc, so it's not dust or anything. It must be the ventilator-steering in Ubuntu, that makes it go much faster than needed or something.

Regards,
Chris Bookwood

ChrisBookwood
November 27th, 2008, 10:43 AM
Anybody?

razy60
November 27th, 2008, 12:45 PM
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=994598
Have you read this post it may help.

Raz

ChrisBookwood
November 27th, 2008, 01:07 PM
I have now enabled laptop-mode, and will try going with it for the rest of the day, and report back if it worked or not, later tonight.

ChrisBookwood
November 28th, 2008, 08:08 PM
I have now been working on my laptop with laptop_mode enabled for about a day, and it have not changed anything noticable in the amount of noise the fan produces, I'm afraid.

ChrisBookwood
November 30th, 2008, 10:21 AM
Anybody with another solution?

razy60
December 1st, 2008, 12:19 AM
are you sure its the fan and not the hard drive making the noise.
+ and I hate to say this but do you still have vista, if you do, you could try to see if its as bad, just to see if it is the OS causing the problem.

Just found these on another post, i8kutils & gkrellm, they may not be exactly what you are looking for but they will show you what is happening in your system, I suggest you. a: google them, to see what they do. then, b: load gkrellm from synaptics(as its probably the best for your system).
As i said it may not be exactly what you want but should help.

Also read this post as there are others with similar problems.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=821597&highlight=fan+noise

hope it helps

Raz