PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Apache virtual hosts, redirecting a domain name

pslStu
November 26th, 2008, 10:25 AM
Greetings

Apologies if this is repeated elsewhere, I couldn't seem to find exactly what I was after. (and moved the thread here by a suggestion in the Beginners forum).

What I would like to do is redirect a specific incoming domain name on to another domain name, while keeping the original in the address bar.
So, a user types in www.domain1.com, which points to my server, and I want it to automatically redirect to www.domain2.com, but still show www.domain1.com in the address bar.
(it seems most domain name providers have this feature in a nice little package waiting to be used, but not the one I'm with, and changing it isn't an option)

I'm using individual Virtual Host files in /etc/apache2/sites-available as it's a multi-domain server, indentifying by name.

I found
Redirect / http://www.domaintobeforwardedto.com/ on a website, which does redirect if I place it within the <VirtualHost> tag of the virtual host file, but it changes the URL in the address bar.

I should also add that this is a temporary measure, as it doesn't seem best practice, but unfortunately it's required.

It was suggested that I change the CNAME of domain1.com to the A of domain2.com, but I don't think that's going to be possible as the domain2.com is a WordPress.com hosted blog. (or is it possible? I'm not sure)

Can anyone help me out?

Philio
November 26th, 2008, 02:45 PM
You can just point both domains at the same IP address (an A record or CNAME record will work), and then add a ServerAlias into your Apache config like:

<VirtualHost 1.2.3.4:80>
ServerName domain1.com
ServerAlias domain2.com
etc
</VirtualHost>