PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Unclean Shutdown -- due to low battery

utnubuuser
November 26th, 2008, 08:55 AM
Hi --- My laptop shut-down recently due to a low battery. What can I say? I was on battery power, and got distracted elsewhere.

Anyway, after I plugged in the power cord and restarted, I got to go through a system check due to "unclean shut-down". Does Ubuntu not go through it's regular shut-down procedure when shutting down because of low battery? And shouldn't it?
It seems that this shouldn't be an issue? Have I just got my power setting poorly set?

Thanks

Intrepid Ibex
Thinkpad X31

wardrich
November 26th, 2008, 10:03 AM
There's a good chance your laptop didn't do a clean shutdown because the battery totally died before it was able to... like if you were to just hit the power button. If it didn't report any corrupted files, and you don't notice anything funky going on, you should be fine.

utnubuuser
November 26th, 2008, 11:22 AM
Yeah, the files and that were all ok; My concern was for my power management.
My battery is brand new, and in the control panel I've got it set to shut-down if power gets critically low, but it seems that the power-manager should begin it's shut-down protocol long before the battery is near exhaustion. (I suppose the battery applet in the Panel isn't hooked/tied into the OS's power manager?)
It's been quite a while since I changed the OS from Windows to Ubuntu, but if I remember correctly, the Windows power manager had options dialogs so you could set the percentage of power remaining before system shutdown. If those options aren't featured or available, shouldn't there be a default at which the computer begins it's shutdown, and if no such option is available graphically, which folder/file might be relevant/editable?

Thanks

nickelcedjf
January 17th, 2011, 01:22 AM
Hi --- My laptop shut-down recently due to a low battery. What can I say? I was on battery power, and got distracted elsewhere.Anyway, after I plugged in the power cord and restarted, I got to go through a system check due to "unclean shut-down". Does Ubuntu not go through (http://www.purplers.net/ca/software/the-reality-of-traffic-generator-software.html) it's regular shut-down procedure when shutting down because of low battery? And shouldn't it?It seems that this shouldn't be an issue? Have I just got my power setting poorly set?ThanksIntrepid IbexThinkpad X31Thanks very much! Could you give more details? Have you solved the problem?