PDA

View Full Version : Run an app in a different workspace with the command line?

souleestyles
November 26th, 2008, 01:54 AM
Hi All,

All is in the title. Indeed, I would like to know what the command line is to run an application (eg firefox) in a different workspace.

ps: My project will be to do a script in order to run different apps on different workspaces. (Currently I use 4 workspaces).

thx in advance for your help,

mssever
November 26th, 2008, 02:58 AM
Hi All,

All is in the title. Indeed, I would like to know what the command line is to run an application (eg firefox) in a different workspace.

ps: My project will be to do a script in order to run different apps on different workspaces. (Currently I use 4 workspaces).

thx in advance for your help,
This really is a question for a different section.

How you accomplish this depends on your window manager. I use Compiz, and the window rules plugin for ccsm allows you to configure things like that. I know that there are other methods as well, though I've never used any of them.

Basically, there's no pure command-line way to do what you want--at least not in a default install. Maybe someone's written something that you can install that'll interact with the window manager.

souleestyles
November 26th, 2008, 12:57 PM
This really is a question for a different section

Which section? I though all stuff regarding shell and script were in programming talk section.:-k
Anyway my environment desktop is gnome and I use metacity as window manager.
(I'm running under Ubuntu 8.04.1, if that can help you).
I don't think what I ask is complicated. Only thing I want to know, it's how to run in a terminal (running on workspace 1 for example) an application in order to display on another workspace (different on workspace 1 for sure).

For example I tried this thing I found somewhere on Google. (don't remember where):
export DISPLAY=:0.0 && kstart --desktop 2 firefox

This command line works but kstart is more related to kde and not with gnome. Actually, I'd like the same way of this command line but for gnome.

mssever
November 26th, 2008, 03:41 PM
For example I tried this thing I found somewhere on Google. (don't remember where):
export DISPLAY=:0.0 && kstart --desktop 2 firefox
Setting $DISPLAY won't change anything. I've heard of a program for metacity that allows control of such things, but I don't remember what it's called. At any rate, you'll need to install something metacity-specific.

unutbu
November 26th, 2008, 03:53 PM
There is a package in the official repos that can give you control over initial window placement for all apps.

sudo apt-get install devilspie

It is a fairly small package; under 100KB.

Use System>Preferences>Sessions to run the command

devilspie

when you start up.

Make the directory ~/.devilspie
and put in it a file called config.ds with these lines as it content:

(if
(is (application_name) "firefox-bin")
(set_workspace 2)
)

For more information on devilspie:
http://foosel.org/linux/devilspie
http://www.burtonini.com/blog/computers/devilspie
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Devilspie

mssever
November 26th, 2008, 04:18 PM
There is a package in the official repos that can give you control over initial window placement for all apps.

sudo apt-get install devilspie
Thanks. That was the program I was trying to think of.