PDA

View Full Version : [kubuntu] [SOLVED] 2.6.27-10-generic kernel won't load fglrx driver

horde
November 25th, 2008, 10:22 PM
I just upgraded to the 2.6.27-10-generic kernel from the repositories using Adept, and when I rebooted it didn't seem to be able to load the driver. Even attempting to run in low-graphics mode didn't work. Nor did dpkg --reconfigure, nor did booting into root shell and running envyng -t. However, loading the 2.6.27-8-generic kernel instead works.

I'm running a Dell Inspiron 9400, Kubuntu 8.10, ATI Mobility Radeon X1400 using the latest fglrx from repositories.

Anyone else having this problem/know how to resolve it?

Thanks.

b.q.wemer
November 28th, 2008, 01:36 PM
Hi,

maybe you inherit some crap from former versions. Move the /var/lib/dkms/fglrx directory to your home-folder as a backup. Then purge everything that has to do with fglrx, reinstall xorg-driver-fglrx and restart Xserver. At least this worked for me.

HTH

horde
November 28th, 2008, 02:16 PM
Thank you, thank you, thank you, b.q.wemer. I did as you said (backed up and removed /var/lib/dkms/fglrx) and let envyng do the rest...unfortunately I'm not comfortable configuring/installing kernel modules yet.

But it works now...2.6.27-10-generic now loads fglrx. Now if they'll just ship a driver that has X11/3D acceleration on Xorg 1.5 I'll be completely happy with my setup.

Much appreciation for your help!