PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Webcam works with Cheese, but not with Skype

tbraun
November 25th, 2008, 09:55 PM
Hello!

I tried the Tchibo webcam (Tchibo is a retailer in Germany) with Ubuntu 8.10 on a Dell Latitude D820. It shows up as follows via lsusb:

Bus 003 Device 005: ID 093a:2600 Pixart Imaging, Inc. Typhoon Easycam USB 330K (newer)/Typhoon Easycam USB 2.0 VGA 1.3M/Sansun SN-508

When I start the "Cheese Webcam Booth" it works without any problem. However, when I then start Skype (version 2.0.0.63) and I 'test' the video image, I only get static. Quite literally: The image is just shown as colourful static, as if a TV receiver was out of tune. See also the attached screenshot.

How come this works under Cheese, but not under Skype? For what it's worth, they both use the /dev/video0 device.

I would love to be able to use this camera with Skype. Any idea what to do?

Thank you very much...

papamat
November 26th, 2008, 01:07 PM
Thanks mate xD That works for me to.

kiiiikooo
December 26th, 2008, 01:17 AM
First sorry for upping this old thread .

I had the same problem and it really drived me crasy these days, so thanks alot for solution Chauncellor !!

But as i'm still a newbie in linux i have some problems adding this command to the launcher of skype so i don't have to type it every time I use skype :p I would appreciate your help !

Edit :
Oups sorry i should have done some research before asking the question, I found the solution on the archive of this forum

stz184
January 29th, 2009, 12:59 PM
There's something wrong with GStreamer or something. There's a bug report here:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/libv4l/+bug/260918

I haven't checked this out recently as I don't really use Skype all that much, but there's a workaround mentioned in there.

Run this in a terminal.

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype

That should fix your problem. I just have my launcher to start up with that code in a terminal, and all is well at the moment. Glancing over the status, it seems that a fix may have been released.

Good luck:)

Now I can use my cheap China-phone SciPhone as web camera :lolflag:

befana
February 5th, 2009, 08:16 PM
And how to make Skype to run with working webcam without typing in a terminal?
I am asking this because of my parents - they are too old to type in a terminal.

swamytk
February 9th, 2009, 06:00 AM
And how to make Skype to run with working webcam without typing in a terminal?
I am asking this because of my parents - they are too old to type in a terminal.
To create a shortcut for skype with this fix:

1. Create a simple script shown below with the name launchskype in your home folder

#!/bin/sh
export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so
skype &

2. Set it as executable file. In file browser, right click the file and select "Make Link" option. It will create a link. Cut and paste this link to your desktop.
3. Double click this shortcut to launch skype. If it is prompted to "display or execute", select execute (or make select as default action in nautilus preferences)

gitboxgreg
April 15th, 2009, 02:31 AM
I have been trying to get this to work for weeks, thank you so much!

eldragon
April 15th, 2009, 04:37 AM
EDIT: nothing, just checked OP's date, my bad

Arcadian
June 21st, 2009, 08:29 AM
This has worked for me also!! Plus I have the shell script running skype for me at login now, which means I can forget about it. A big thanks to everyone involved! :)

mosta7eel
July 20th, 2009, 01:35 AM
Am sorry to hit an old thread, but I have the same problem and was perfectly solved byt the LD_Preloaad command.
Now I am facing the same problem with virtualbox version 3.02. I have tried to run it with the command the same as the one mentioned for skype but it doesn't make a difference.
My OS is Kubuntu (Jaunty)
Virtualbox 3.02 running windows XP SP3
Webcam is Microdia Clas Ohlson TWC-30XOP WebCam
thanks in acvance

andrescodas
August 18th, 2009, 10:24 PM
It works with my:

0c45:6005 Microdia Sweex Mini WebCam

Thanks!

cpatton90
August 29th, 2009, 11:16 PM
This worked for me as well! Ubuntu 9.04, skype 2.1.0.47, with a Logitech Quckcam. lsusb reads "Bus 005 Device 002: ID 046d:08af Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Easy/Cool".

I bought this camera for $15 and it worked out of the box with Windows, of course. But as I previously only used windows for skyping, windows got riddled with the bugs, spyware, and the general crappiness that usually leads one to reformat. But now that I came across this post everything's working.

Thanks for the script!

-Chris

Sergei Sotnikov
August 30th, 2009, 12:36 PM
Hello to everyone,
I have the same problem, my webcam works with Cheese, but not with Skype. I was using Ubuntu 8.10 before and with this comand: LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype
everything worked fine. Then after I downloaded updates for the system it stoped working. I updated to Ubuntu 9.04 version, but it did not help. Now my webcam works with Cheese fine but when I try to run Skype with LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype command in terminal it wrights:

sergei@sergei-desktop:~$ LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype
ALSA lib pcm.c:2205(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.hdmi
ALSA lib pcm_bluetooth.c:1569(audioservice_expect) BT_GET_CAPABILITIES failed : Input/output error(5)
ALSA lib pcm_bluetooth.c:1569(audioservice_expect) BT_GET_CAPABILITIES failed : Input/output error(5)
ALSA lib pcm_bluetooth.c:1569:(audioservice_expect) BT_GET_CAPABILITIES failed : Input/output error(5)
Skype Video Capture: Cannot open device '/dev/video0': No such file or directory
Starting the process...
Skype Xv: Xv ports available: 64
Skype XShm: XShm support enabled
Skype Xv: Using Xv port 355
Skype Xv: No suitable overlay format found

Does anybody knows what it means and how to fix my Webcam to work again. Thank you! May God bless you in Jesus Christ name!

paul1080
October 28th, 2009, 10:11 AM

I haven't checked this out recently as I don't really use Skype all that much, but there's a workaround mentioned in there.

Run this in a terminal.

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skypeThat should fix your problem. I just have my launcher to start up with that code in a terminal, and all is well at the moment. Glancing over the status, it seems that a fix may have been released.

Running Logitech 08af, and jaunty here - wooo hoo hoo! it works it works!!
Many thanks Chauncellor, good luck Sergei hope somebody here can help you.

gugamare
November 29th, 2009, 09:28 PM
It worked on my Labtec Webcam Pro!

I'm running ubuntu 9.10 and skype 2.1.0.47.

Thanks!!!

Chriske
November 30th, 2009, 05:40 PM
Thanks for a great solution! It worked with my Creative Vista Live! webcam.

And thanks to the poster who provided the automatic script too.

Much appreciated.

onetwothreecool
December 8th, 2009, 06:24 AM
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
[1] 6239

i get this error?

snake_eyes
December 23rd, 2009, 10:30 PM
it didn't work and no wrong messages at the same time :(

any suggestion?

levimaen
December 24th, 2009, 07:56 PM

Run this in a terminal.

That should fix your problem. I just have my launcher to start up with that code in a terminal, and all is well at the moment. Glancing over the status, it seems that a fix may have been released.

You are a genius! I have tried for 24 hours in all Ubuntu forums, in vain!thank you!

av8rbri
January 10th, 2010, 09:50 PM
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
[1] 6239

i get this error?
I get this exact same msg. too after it is typed in a terminal window. Anyone, anyone, Bueller, Bueller......?

chandler220
January 21st, 2010, 08:30 AM

1. Create a simple script shown below with the name launchskype in your home folder

2. Set it as executable file. In file browser, right click the file and select "Make Link" option. It will create a link. Cut and paste this link to your desktop.
3. Double click this shortcut to launch skype. If it is prompted to "display or execute", select execute (or make select as default action in nautilus preferences)
Thank you very much, I am using Sony VAIO VGN-FT50B & Skype 2.1.0.47,
the LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so works prefect for me.
But I am facing the problem to create a shortcut to open the skype without typing this script in terminal each time.
Although I followed swamytk said every step, but I have no luck still cannot open with the link I created, can anyone give me some hints?

Kyle138
January 25th, 2010, 12:18 AM
If you don't want to make a desktop shortcut you can edit the System->Preferences->MainMenu properties for Skype. Just change the Command: field from 'skype' to '/path/to/your/script/skype.sh'

chandler220
January 25th, 2010, 01:27 AM
I think I know where I've done wrong, but since I am a rookie of Linux, so I don't know how to solve it.

I created the launchskype by gedit Text Editor and just save like that, did I make mistake at this part?

I surfed some website and have the idea how to make it executable file, but I couldn't copy the file to my home folder

Since I couldn't finished the first 2 steps, I didn't get to the 3 step.

And Thank you for the tips Kyle138, but I didn't see any skype.sh, what is the file of skype.sh?
I am sorry that may be I asked some stupid question because I don't know Linux at all, but I really want to join this community, since I found Ubuntu is really great and COOL!
I really willing to learn more about Linux. I hope I can get some help in this forum.

Kyle138
January 27th, 2010, 06:26 PM
Gedit is fine for editing a scipt file. Think of it as a .bat file in windows, just a text file containing a list of commands to run.

There are a couple of ways to make a file executable. From the GUI (nautilus) you just right-click the file, select properties, select the Permissions tab, and check the box []Allow executing file as program. From the command line you would type chmod +x filename

In my example before the file skype.sh is the one that you created. You named yours launchskype ;)

zeroseven0183
February 12th, 2010, 03:33 PM
It worked perfectly. Thanks!

arnaud_d
February 16th, 2010, 08:20 PM

Run this in a terminal.

Thank you so much !!! I was having this problem for month and your solution solved it in a flash !

snake_eyes
February 18th, 2010, 08:44 PM
Thank you so much, solved.....

albtross
February 19th, 2010, 05:37 AM
Hello

I am struggling to get my webcam to work with Skype 2.1.0.81 , it works with Cheese.
I am running karmic 64-bit.

desktop:~$ lsusb
Bus 003 Device 002: ID 046d:08d7 Logitech, Inc. QuickCam Communicate STX
I have test the "sudo gstreamer-properties" select Video & it only works with "v4l2"

When I try to run "LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so /usr/bin/skype" I get the following error
"ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored."

Then if I try to run "LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib32/libv4l/v4l1compat.so /usr/bin/skype" Skype will load without errors, however when I go to test (button) the video, the program crashes with a segmentation fault.

Would appreciate some help
Cheers

lotv
June 6th, 2010, 03:37 PM
I tried to open skype with the command you suggest and get this

lotv@lotv-laptop:~$ LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype
X Error, request 42, minor 0, error code 8 BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)
X Error, request 42, minor 0, error code 8 BadMatch (invalid parameter attributes)

Any suggestions? Skype seems to be using the correct device but all I see is a plain black screen instead of my beautiful face, It works exactly the same with or without the launcher you use.

arunstar
July 2nd, 2010, 07:13 AM
I am on Ubuntu 10.04, 64 AMD., HP Laptop.
Skype 2.1.0.81

How I solved the Skype video problem.

1. Do this at terminal
arun@machinix:~$ lsmod | grep videodev
videodev 40486 1 uvcvideo
v4l1_compat 15495 2 uvcvideo,videodev
v4l2_compat_ioctl32 12020 1 videodev

2. Test if the webcam video works on your pc

arun@machinix:~$ sudo gstreamer-properties

- This will open a "Multimedia System Selector" for you (see the screeshot, GS.png).
- Go to the Video tab --> Default input, and click the Test button.
- This will open the Webcam for you. This means the webcam is working fine on your pc (see the screenshot, webcam.jpg).
- Close the "Multimedia System Selector" now.

3. Open the file as:
arun@machinix:~$ sudo gedit /usr/local/bin/skype

- Type in the following

#!/bin/bash
LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib32/libv4l/v4l1compat.so /usr/bin/skype

- Save and close the gedit.

Note: The usage of library is important, remember I on 64 bit Linux, earlier I was typing the above line with "/usr/lib/..." (notice missing 32 here :) ) that did NOT enable the skype video for me. The trick was to use the 32 bit libraries. Why, this may be because Skype Linux client is most probably built for the normal 32bit linux distros. So 64 bit linux users like me need to direct the Skype to use the 32 bit files only.
Actually the output in step 1, that is
this should given me idea that my pc is using 32 bit libs with the webcam (silly me).

4. Just launch the Skype now and text the video as
Skype menu --> Options --> Video Devices
- Press Test button
- You should see that the Webcam is now working fine.

:p

calimerox
July 5th, 2010, 10:40 PM
i got a quite similar problem with skype and lucid
when i use video skype, the sound crashes aufter 6 minutes and i dont hear anything anymore.. i have to kill skype and start again for getting a connection again.. i also had cheese installed, there might be a connection? thanks !

arunstar
July 6th, 2010, 05:11 AM
Hi Calimerox

Well I can say that first you check that the Cheese is working fine for you, try recording a video from the webcam using Cheese.
This will ensure that the loaded video libs are working fine for you. If not then you may like to reload the libs (you may need to search how to reload this "/usr/lib32/libv4l/.." libraries from the repository).
Next you may re-install the Skype and try the video chat again. Hope this helps.

Arun

isleshocky77
July 9th, 2010, 04:32 PM
First, make sure after making the /usr/local/bin/skype file that you set the proper permissions.

sudo chmod 755 /usr/local/bin/skype

Secondly, as the user stated above, if you're on a 32 bit system your file I believe should look like this:

#!/bin/bash
LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so /usr/bin/skype

However, I'm looking to see if anyone could help with a problem I'm having. I now can click test in options and see the video working fine. I can then start a call without video and it works as expected; but as soon as I enable video during a call it crashes skype.

When running from the command line the output looks like this:

sostrow@sostrow-v2000:~$ skype
<unknown>: Fatal IO error 14 (Bad address) on X server :0.0.
/usr/local/bin/skype: line 2: 1077 Segmentation fault LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so /usr/bin/skype

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

mtopro
October 14th, 2010, 11:57 PM
arunstar. great tutorial above. i have gone through about every solution out there and you point out just what i needed to get my 64bit system's webcam working on Skype. Thank you for posting!

bigred1
November 10th, 2010, 09:02 PM

1. Create a simple script shown below with the name launchskype in your home folder...

This worked for me. Thanks. I have a Logitech Quickcam Express which worked in Cheese. It also worked in Skype on the same machine in Windows. But in Ubuntu, the video was simply coming through black. This fixed it.

solnyshok
December 19th, 2010, 09:54 AM
I am on 64 bit Maverick. In my case, video worked so that my opponents could see me, and worked in cheese. But I could not see neither myself, neither opposite end's video. This was solved by editing skype launch shortcut to

bash -c 'XLIB_SKIP_ARGB_VISUALS=1 skype'

malmsteen84
January 3rd, 2011, 01:09 PM
Skype 2.1.0.81

1. Do this at terminal

- This will open a "Multimedia System Selector" for you (see the screeshot, GS.png).
- This will open the Webcam for you. This means the webcam is working fine on your pc (see the screenshot, webcam.jpg).

3. Open the file as:

- Type in the following

#!/bin/bash

Note: The usage of library is important, remember I on 64 bit Linux, earlier I was typing the above line with "/usr/lib/..." (notice missing 32 here :) ) that did NOT enable the skype video for me. The trick was to use the 32 bit libraries. Why, this may be because Skype Linux client is most probably built for the normal 32bit linux distros. So 64 bit linux users like me need to direct the Skype to use the 32 bit files only.
this should given me idea that my pc is using 32 bit libs with the webcam (silly me).

- Press Test button

need help here...
i use 10.10 and skype 2.1.0.81
from gstreamer-properties my webcam is running fine. but i got message "segmentation fault" after running skype using your suggestion above and do videotesting.
any idea?

cordoval
January 5th, 2011, 03:01 PM
maverick and skype 2.1.0.81 I am as many that had not been able to have it working until now

I have tried everything but it would just show that it works with gstream-properties for usb webcam on /dev/video0 although actually my webcam is incorporated to the screen on this laptop, however when on the skype options one is only shown the default usb camera as if there was not any other besides the default. I think this is one of the problems.

videodev 43098 1 uvcvideo
v4l1_compat 13359 2 uvcvideo,videodev

gstream-properties lack also several other plugins

gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'artsdsink'
gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'esdsink'
gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'sunaudiosink'
gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'glimagesink'
gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'sdlvideosink'
gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'v4lmjpegsrc'
gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'qcamsrc'
gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'esdmon'
gstreamer-properties-Message: Skipping unavailable plugin 'sunaudiosrc'

however I don't think that is the problem, and the window for gstream-properties is attached with configuration that works, however on skype it does not work

dulbirakan
February 4th, 2011, 10:55 AM
I am using an Acer TravelMate 3040 that came with a logitech orbicam.

I confirm that this fix works but you might need to restart skype a few times.

pwabrahams
February 6th, 2011, 05:34 PM
I'm running under fully updated Kubuntu 10.10. I have two different webcams attached now, so the webcam is unlikely to be the problem. Cheese works perfectly with both. But here's what I get when I do the skype video test with either of them:

pwa@Asus-laptop:~$ LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib32/libv4l/v4l2convert.so /usr/bin/skype
Segmentation fault
pwa@Asus-laptop:~$ LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib32/libv4l/v4l1compat.so /usr/bin/skype
Segmentation fault

With all the reports of success with this fix (and I've seen many), why am I so unlucky?

One other thought: am I using the right repository for libv4l? I'm getting it from

http://ppa.launchpad.net/libv4l/ppa/ubuntu/ maverick main

rvchari
February 6th, 2011, 05:46 PM
its an interesting thread related to web cams.

i am using integrated webcam (chicony) that comes with laptop. it works fine with all the apps but i have a funny problem.
daylight => web cam works perfect.
night => image is darkened to such an extent that screen is almost black !!! i tried to luminate the room to such an extent that my eyes felt uneasy still the same problem !!! wonder if its hardware related or OS driver related...
any help in this regard will be good..

pwabrahams
February 6th, 2011, 06:13 PM
Until a couple of weeks ago, the skype video test worked for me. I just did a little investigation and discovered that the copy of libv4l in the repository was updated on January 27. I can't be sure, but I think that date is the dividing line between when my webcam worked in Skype and when it didn't.

Who gets bug reports for libv4l?

crabsody
February 13th, 2011, 07:10 PM
pwabrahams I think you are right. My cam doesn't work with skype after a recent update....

crabsody
February 13th, 2011, 07:51 PM
Sorry. I reinstalled skype and now works fine...

felixq78
February 20th, 2011, 05:11 AM

Run this in a terminal.

This works if you want to start Skype off the terminal "every time"which I'm happy to do but many find it a problem, but if you open Skype from the usual way i.e. Apps>Internet>Skype it doesn't work.
There must be a fix to change Skype so the webcam works in the usual way?

felixq78
February 20th, 2011, 05:28 AM
Skype 2.1.0.81

1. Do this at terminal

3. Open the file as:

- Type in the following

#!/bin/bash

- Press Test button

All I got was "command not found":guitar:

pwabrahams
February 20th, 2011, 05:42 AM
If the file /usr/local/bin/skype isn't marked as executable, then it isn't usable as a command. To fix that: sudo chmod a+x /usr/local/bin/skype. That bit was missing from the recipe.
To check the status: ls -l /usr/local/bin/skype. The attributes should include x.

banyai
March 4th, 2011, 08:29 AM
Ubuntu 10.10 (64 bit)
Logitech Webcam C500 (UVC Camera (046d:0807)(7dev/video 0)
Cheese (audio and video - OK)
Skype (beta) 2.1.0.81 (audio - OK, video - crash) (same driver!)

Neither of the proposed solutions worked for me!!!!!

skiwithpete
March 5th, 2011, 04:04 AM
Same here, got an update through today and now skype cam doesn't work though it does work in cheese...

32bit
Update was completed today march 5th 2011.
Logitech camera

crabsody
March 7th, 2011, 10:25 AM
Ι wrote a post before that I reinstalled skype and it was fixed. Well this is partially the truth. Every time I boot the machine the problem remains. So I should reinstall skype every time. That's very bad.

kan3malato
March 19th, 2011, 02:05 PM

Run this in a terminal.

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skypeThat should fix your problem. I just have my launcher to start up with that code in a terminal, and all is well at the moment. Glancing over the status, it seems that a fix may have been released.

Hi all.
It works!! finally,
You both are f genius guys, really8-)
Thanks thousand.

pwabrahams
March 20th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Even more convenient is to put the fix into /usr/local/bin:

sudo echo "LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so /usr/bin/skype" > /usr/local/bin/skype
Since /usr/local/bin is searched for commands before /usr/bin, the simple skype command now does what is wanted!

Itsikaviram
March 20th, 2011, 04:04 PM
Can you please expand on this method. I have the same problem with skype and camera.
What does it mean to create a simple script ? Can you show step by step ?
Itsik
Thank you

pwabrahams
March 20th, 2011, 04:42 PM
What is the problem with camera? If it just needs the same preload, then put the line I recommended into /usr/local/bin/camera, with /usr/bin/camera substituted for /usr/bin/skype.

Itsikaviram
March 20th, 2011, 07:30 PM
I have tried the code
LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skypeon my terminal and got an error message
cannot find preload command, no such directory

What am I doing wrong?

I need a step by step beginners instructions.

Thank you

pwabrahams
March 20th, 2011, 10:41 PM
You typed:
What you should have typed:

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so /usr/bin/skype
Essentially, the preload modified the loading of /usr/bin/skype. Calling skype by itself produces a circularity.

bitbomb
April 8th, 2011, 01:15 PM
A newbies guide...

Here is how I got this working on my computer....

I went to my home folder and typed Ctrl-H to bring up hidden folders. When the hidden folders were shown, I went to the folder named .Skype and made a file named "SkypeWithVideo.sh". You can name this file anything you want and you can put it where ever you want, I chose this name and location because I like everything to be in my home folder.

I opened my SkypeWithVideo.sh file with a text editor and added these lines...

#!/bin/sh
export LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so
skype & I closed the file and then made it executable by opening a command prompt and typing....

sudo chmod 755 /home/"user"/.Skype/SkypeWithVideo.shThen I fixed the link in the menu by right clicking on the menu, selecting "edit menus" to bring up the Main Menu configuration tool. Select the skype entry and in the command section replace the word skype with....

/home/"user"/.Skype/SkypeWithVideo.shI noticed that this messed up my icon. If you want to restore it open the Main Menu configuration tool again, click on the Skype entry, click on the icon entry and go to /user/share/icons, the skype icon is called skype.png. If the icon isn't there, search for the correct location by using the find command. The following command searchs the root directory and all subdirectories for the skype icon.

sudo find / -name "skype.png"Hope this helps...

Lordofsraam
April 9th, 2011, 04:47 AM
Works for me (Skype 2.2 on Ubuntu 10.10 using a Microsoft Lifecam) THNX A TON

pwabrahams
April 9th, 2011, 05:53 AM
Although the approach recommended by Bitbomb certainly works, it has the disadvantage that the command has to be modified in every context where it might be used. Better to put the redefinition ahead of /usr/bin/skype in the search path by putting a redefinition in /usr/local/bin as I suggested earlier, so the redefinition will be seen before the original definition. If you don't want to do something that requires root privileges, put the redefinition in /home/username/local/bin. That way the simple command "skype" does the right thing.

crabsody
April 9th, 2011, 01:00 PM
I use 10.10 with the latest kernel
Linux angus 2.6.35-28-generic. Skype 2.2.0.25. Some months ago video worked ok. Then suddenly didn't. Every time I boot the computer I should reinstall skype in order to work. Now a week ago suddenly even this solution stopped working. So I tried the LD_PRELOAD method mentioned above. If I
setenv LD_PRELOAD /usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so before running skype I got the following message
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.. dmesg outputs
process `skype' is using obsolete setsockopt SO_BSDCOMPAT. Any suggestions?

crabsody
April 9th, 2011, 01:12 PM
Bingo. arunstar ROCKS!!! I should first do the following

Now it works OK!!!

pwabrahams
April 10th, 2011, 01:38 PM
A newbies guide...

/home/"user"/.Skype/SkypeWithVideo.shI noticed that this messed up my icon.
The messed-up icon and other related problems occur because you're leaving the meaning of the literal commmand skype unchanged. In posts #53 and @60 I showed just how to make the skype command work correctly by intercepting its interpretation and putting the corrected command earlier in the command interpretation path. Go look again!!

mwray
April 11th, 2011, 05:46 AM
Moderator, can we put this at the top. (Couldn't find the link to the deb file if some one knows it maybe we can have this at the top of the list. This should solve all issues related to the 32-bit/64-bit. Others would be gstreamer issues. Newer versions of gstreamer don't have the lib-theora plugin that worked on older versions to fix the same issue. Works on Ubuntu 8.x and up to at least 10.10.

HOWTO make the webcam work in BOTH skype and cheese, as above fix breaks cheese w/out the fix broken packages option, and w/out specifying lib32 instead of lib:

Step one:
get the 32bit lib4vl-version#_i386.deb

(version# should be replaced w/ current 32-bit version 3)
Step 2:
dpkg -i --force-architecture packagename.deb

Packagename should be replaced w/ name of package retrieved above.

Step 3:
Run synaptic, click "fix broken packages".

Step 4:

write a shell script (say /usr/bin/skype.launcher):
#!/bin/bash
LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib32/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype
export LD_PRELOAD
/usr/bin/skype &

Step 5:
chmod skype.launcher 755

Step 6:
Use settings Main menu, find the skype launcher and edit command line to be skype.launcher instead of skype.

Note: You can use one or the other, as the device is "locked" for exclusive use. But now you can use either one without jumping through hoops.

pwabrahams
April 11th, 2011, 02:42 PM
write a shell script (say /usr/bin/skype.launcher):
#!/bin/bash
export LD_PRELOAD
/usr/bin/skype &

Now if that shell script is placed in /usr/local/bin/skype instead of in /usr/bin/skype.launcher, everything works more conveniently. This approach is also more robust when system updates take place.

Babajus
April 23rd, 2011, 07:07 PM
simple fix

Edit launcher right click on Applications and click edit menus.
There navigate to Internet, right click on Skype and click Properties.
Replace the Command with:

bash -c 'LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype'

for me fixed webcammy.

rapattack1
April 25th, 2011, 09:49 AM
Your a gem Babajus.....this is my first 64bit machine with Artistx(ubuntu) and you solved this for me :0)

houseworkshy
April 30th, 2011, 07:24 PM
I've tried the fixes in this post for 10.04 64bit and still can't make the video in skype work, though ist does in cheese. It is an HP camera which is supposed to be skype compatable. Tried the entry in the terminal at the beging of the post, the dropping of an .sh file into the appropriate directory and the altering of the command mentioned above. Stuck, so it there another program which works in Lucid which would enable video chat that is compatable with skype as most of the people I know are using it on windows.

jaspur
May 1st, 2011, 12:09 AM
I just finished my dig for an answer to the age old problem of skype webcam dysfunction. I recently installed ubuntu 11.04 and lost a few good apps that I rely on.

I refer to this article for my final success.

http://bit.ly/9sCpdH

hope this helps.

rapattack1
May 7th, 2011, 04:33 PM
Babajus-Well i got the cam working that i can see but the first two people i tried this with can't see me. Has anyone heard of this? i am using a 64bit system and i have artistx which is a ubuntu distro. Don't know what version it is. It is a multimedia distro. Anyway i can see me in skype and cheese now but no one can see me. One person had windows and the other a mac. Today though a friend said he could see shadows and when i moved my hand in front of the camera he could vaguely see my hand.

pierreu1
May 7th, 2011, 06:03 PM
I have had the same problem: skype working in all, but in Skype.

I noticed that the video test button indicated that Skype is using a usb 20 camera (/dev/video 0)

My camera is a rocketfish video bought about 4 years ago.

I followed "arunstar" fix , as it was a more recent fix (that I could follow), which would probably be more relevant for a more recent system like I have.

3. Open the file as:

- Type in the following

#!/bin/bash

AND then I did this:

pierre2@Pierre-Vancouver:~$ ls -l /usr/local/bin/skyp
ls: cannot access /usr/local/bin/skyp: No such file or directory
pierre2@Pierre-Vancouver:~$ sudo chmod a+x /usr/local/bin/skype
[sudo] password for pierre2:
Sorry, try again.
[sudo] password for pierre2:
pierre2@Pierre-Vancouver:~$ sudo chmod a+x /usr/local/bin/skype
pierre2@Pierre-Vancouver:~$ ls -l /usr/local/bin/skype
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 70 2011-05-07 09:46 /usr/local/bin/skype
pierre2@Pierre-Vancouver:~$

Unfortunately, Skype video test is still not working.

I am running Natty and a webcam that used to work no problem in Skype before I upgraded from 10.10.

What should I try now?

Thanks.

nikonicanicanon
May 13th, 2011, 08:02 PM
100% Funcional!!! tanks

Nausser
May 25th, 2011, 04:44 AM
Worked great for me too on 11.04. Put the script in my home folder under a hidden directory and edited the skype launcher in the menu editor to point to that file. I had to re-associate the Skype icon as well. Not a big deal.

Thanks a lot!!

meddyuk
May 29th, 2011, 04:00 PM
simple fix

for me fixed webcammy.

I've tried that and it doesn't work. I've managed to get the cam working if i open it from the terminal using the same command, but if i put that command in the skype properties it doesn't work. Any ideas?

_arsen_
May 30th, 2011, 07:49 PM
Seems like I've tried everything, but still no video in Skype...
"LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype" says:
QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: No such file or foulder
Then skype runs but video doesn't work.
dmesg contains a bunch of messages like these:
[10022.275968] stk11xx: Check device return error (0x0201 = 0C) !
[10022.278221] stk11xx: Check device return error (0x0201 = 0C) !
[10022.280488] stk11xx: Check device return error (0x0201 = 0C) !

In Ubuntu 10.10 somehow It worked.

Now I'm using Kubuntu 11.04 (x86), Skype 2.2 beta.
lsusb gives: Bus 001 Device 002: ID 174f:6a33 Syntek Web Cam - Asus F3SA, F9J, F9S

carter-rowe
July 5th, 2011, 03:17 PM
Hi,

I've got an Acer Aspire One with the crystal webcam.
Having just installed 10.04.02 (Lucid?) I couldn't get the webcam to work on skype

It worked fine in Cheese but not in Skype

I tried all sorts of the PRE_LOAD solutions for compatibility.

After blundering round for hours I noticed that on the 10.04 release notes/manual ( http://ubuntuguide.org/wiki/Ubuntu:Lucid#Skype )

that they said they downgraded their Skype because the mic didn't work, so I tried that & the video now works fine...

This is what they wrote:-

Many users (including me) have noted that they cannot get their microphone inputs to work with any version later than 2.1.0.47.

Install:

wget -O skype-ubuntu-current_i386.deb http://download.skype.com/linux/skype-debian_2.1.0.47-1_i386.deb
sudo dpkg -i skype-ubuntu-current_i386.deb
sudo rm skype-ubuntu-current_i386.deb

[ aaargh the above is not supposed to be a URL as such the last bit should read linux/skype-debian_2.1.0.47-1_i386.deb ]

or

wget -O skype-ubuntu-current_amd64.deb http://download.skype.com/linux/skype-ubuntu-intrepid_2.1.0.47-1_amd64.deb
sudo dpkg -i skype-ubuntu-current_amd64.deb
sudo rm skype-ubuntu-current_amd64.deb

[ aaargh the above is not supposed to be a URL as such the last bit should read linux/skype-ubuntu-intrepid_2.1.0.47-1_amd64.deb ]

So I did the first one from a terminal window...

Dont know if this will also work with other vid cameras.

The key point seems to be that things like the video stream test work & the camera works in Cheese, so it's *just* skype that wasn't going

Good Luck

Niq

barkhat
July 7th, 2011, 03:23 AM
Worked great for me too on 11.04. Put the script in my home folder under a hidden directory and edited the skype launcher in the menu editor to point to that file. I had to re-associate the Skype icon as well. Not a big deal.

Thanks a lot!!

Can you explain how to do this, please???

Thanks.

redreactions
July 19th, 2011, 12:12 PM
simple fix

for me fixed webcammy.

THANK YOU Babajus!!!
After reading the entire thread with a load of stuff I don't understand how to do, you provided me with the idiots version of webcam fix. You are a star!

chriswhat21
August 21st, 2011, 02:55 AM
I know this is getting to be a really old thread, but

bash -c 'LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype'did not work for me. I edited the Skype shortcut command to:

bash -c 'LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib32/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype'"lib32" being the difference, just in case someone else comes across this thread.

FishRCynic
September 23rd, 2011, 11:03 AM
I know this is getting to be a really old thread, but

bash -c 'LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype'did not work for me. I edited the Skype shortcut command to:

bash -c 'LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib32/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype'"lib32" being the difference, just in case someone else comes across this thread.

The lib32 change worked for me as well. Much Appreciated!

snake_eyes
September 23rd, 2011, 11:47 AM
Hello,

I have Toshiba Satellite c660 the mic is not working on ubuntu 10,04 LTS 64-bit, so any help would be appreciated...

thanks

koftis
October 10th, 2011, 04:32 PM
11.04 x86

Re: Skype problem
ubuntu:~$ LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype
/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/menuproxies/libappmenu.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

(<unknown>:1869): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to load type module: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/menuproxies/libappmenu.so

(<unknown>:1869): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to load type module: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/menuproxies/libappmenu.so

(<unknown>:1869): Gtk-WARNING **: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/immodules/im-ibus.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

(<unknown>:1869): Gtk-WARNING **: Loading IM context type 'ibus' failed

(<unknown>:1869): Gtk-WARNING **: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/immodules/im-ibus.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

Any suggestions?

i've also tried this

go to terminal and type:
echo -e "\n# libv4l PPA\ndeb http://ppa.launchpad.net/libv4l/ppa/ubuntu `lsb_release -c | awk '{print $2}'` main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list
sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com C3FFB4AA
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libv4l-0Now if you want to start Skype just run this in terminal: LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype

my camera info
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 006 Device 002: ID 045e:00f5 Microsoft Corp. LifeCam VX-3000
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 002: ID 04d9:0499 Holtek Semiconductor, Inc. Optical Mouse
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0bda:8197 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8187B Wireless Adapter
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

i got an error in the end...

cheese is working ok..

Any help?;)

the only way i found for to get it working (in this forum fo course is...)

(<unknown>:2001): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to load type module: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/menuproxies/libappmenu.so

(<unknown>:2001): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to load type module: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/menuproxies/libappmenu.so

(<unknown>:2001): Gtk-WARNING **: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/immodules/im-ibus.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

(<unknown>:2001): Gtk-WARNING **: Loading IM context type 'ibus' failed

(<unknown>:2001): Gtk-WARNING **: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/immodules/im-ibus.so: wrong ELF class: ELFCLASS64

libv4l2: error allocating conversion buffer

still errors but i have videocall (according to test..)

FishRCynic
October 11th, 2011, 01:30 AM
11.04 x86

Re: Skype problem
ubuntu:~$ LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype

Any suggestions?

i've also tried this

go to terminal and type:
echo -e "\n# libv4l PPA\ndeb http://ppa.launchpad.net/libv4l/ppa/ubuntu `lsb_release -c | awk '{print $2}'` main" | sudo tee -a /etc/apt/sources.list
sudo apt-key adv --recv-keys --keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com C3FFB4AA
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install libv4l-0Now if you want to start Skype just run this in terminal: LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype

my camera info
Bus 007 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 006 Device 002: ID 045e:00f5 Microsoft Corp. LifeCam VX-3000
Bus 006 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 005 Device 002: ID 04d9:0499 Holtek Semiconductor, Inc. Optical Mouse
Bus 005 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 004 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 003 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0001 Linux Foundation 1.1 root hub
Bus 002 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub
Bus 001 Device 002: ID 0bda:8197 Realtek Semiconductor Corp. RTL8187B Wireless Adapter
Bus 001 Device 001: ID 1d6b:0002 Linux Foundation 2.0 root hub

i got an error in the end...

cheese is working ok..

Any help?;)

the only way i found for to get it working (in this forum fo course is...)

still errors but i have videocall (according to test..)

did you try post 79?

Irvs
October 15th, 2011, 11:23 PM
Just upgraded (reinstalled) to Ubuntu 11.10 (64-bit) and trying to get the cam back to work. While previously the above commands used to work, I'm now getting the following output as soon as I log in:

$ bash -c 'LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib32/libv4l/v4l1compat.so /usr/bin/skype'
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib32/libv4l/v4l1compat.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.

Anyone got this working with Ubuntu 11.10?

FishRCynic
October 16th, 2011, 02:05 AM
Did you install Skype from the repository?

bash -c 'LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib32/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype'
still works for me

Irvs
October 16th, 2011, 11:03 AM
Did you install Skype from the repository?

bash -c 'LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib32/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype'
still works for me

Installed it from the website at first, now purged the installed skype and reinstalled from the (Canonical) repo. Still getting the same error #-o

FishRCynic
October 16th, 2011, 11:14 AM
Do you have lightdm-gtk-greeter installed?
(I installed it for a reason and I am hoping this was it)
(( completely irrelevant - I also installed lightdm-qt-greeter for a qt app butI can't remember which one. ))

FishRCynic
October 16th, 2011, 11:18 AM
other thoughts

libv4l-0 - do you have that package installed?

Does Skype run without the webcam support?
(loading from Dash Icon)

Irvs
October 16th, 2011, 11:59 AM
other thoughts

libv4l-0 - do you have that package installed?

Does Skype run without the webcam support?
(loading from Dash Icon)

Thanks for the fast replies Fish!
Yes, libv4l-0 is installed. Installing lightdm-gtk-greeter didn't make any difference either.

Skype itself runs fine from the terminal, and also from Dash (or whatever its called). Just no working cam as expected.

FishRCynic
October 16th, 2011, 12:16 PM
try this

bash -c 'LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype'

Irvs
October 16th, 2011, 12:21 PM
Same thing:

$ bash -c 'LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype'
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libv4l/v4l1compat.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libv4l/v4l1compat.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
/usr/bin/python: can't open file '/usr/share/skype-notify-improved/skype-notify.py': [Errno 2] No such file or directory

I don't think the bottom error has anything to do with it, but still strange it shows up.

FishRCynic
October 16th, 2011, 12:35 PM
python-skype
pidgin-skype

I have these two packages installed with skype

Irvs
October 16th, 2011, 01:07 PM
E: Unable to locate package python-skype

Installed pidgin-skype, but no difference either :(

FishRCynic
October 16th, 2011, 01:51 PM
amd64

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/oneiric/amd64/python-skype/1.0.32.0-0ubuntu1

http://launchpadlibrarian.net/62701044/python-skype_1.0.32.0-0ubuntu1_all.deb

i386

https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/oneiric/i386/python-skype/1.0.32.0-0ubuntu1

http://launchpadlibrarian.net/62701044/python-skype_1.0.32.0-0ubuntu1_all.deb

for downloadable deb (same for amd64 and i386)

in software sources do you have multiverse enabled?

it says status deleted for 11.10 but you definitely have a python error.

FishRCynic
October 16th, 2011, 02:03 PM
your webcam does work in Cheese?

if so
does v4l1compat.so
exist in any of these directories\folders?

cd /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libv4l/
dir

cd /usr/lib/libv4l/
dir

cd /usr/lib32/libv4l/
dir

Irvs
October 16th, 2011, 02:40 PM
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/oneiric/amd64/python-skype/1.0.32.0-0ubuntu1

Thanks... made no difference though, the python error is still there.

in software sources do you have multiverse enabled
Yes.

your webcam does work in Cheese?

if so
does v4l1compat.so
exist in any of these directories\folders?

cd /usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libv4l/
dir

cd /usr/lib/libv4l/
dir

cd /usr/lib32/libv4l/
dir

Cheese didn't come installed in this release... but after installing it, it seems to work just fine. Also worked fine during install, when setup wants to take a picture of you.

/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libv4l/: No such file or directory

In fact, all of these don't exist. I thought I checked before... but nonetheless, the libv4l-0 package IS installed.

Irvs
October 16th, 2011, 03:02 PM
Seems it resides in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libv4l/

But it still isn't able to preload it:

ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libv4l/v4l1compat.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.

EDIT:
Seems it needs the i386 libs from the libv4l-0:i386 package. Once I installed that (spotted the package in synaptic) I was able to run skype:

$ LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libv4l/v4l1compat.so /usr/bin/skype

The error is still there, but at least the cam works now. :D

Thanks for the help FishRCynic!

FishRCynic
October 16th, 2011, 03:48 PM
No problem -
I think i will do some saving and a reinstall here,
I think my install may have too many orphaned packages hangin around
and not necessarily helpful ones either lol.

Irvs
October 16th, 2011, 04:16 PM
I know what you mean: seems the python script was a left-over, somewhere in my /home directory from the previously installed Ubuntu Messaging Menu integration (http://www.webupd8.org/2011/05/skype-ubuntu-messaging-menu-notifyosd.html). Reinstalled the script and the python error is now gone at least :)

FishRCynic
October 16th, 2011, 04:57 PM
i used this deb for that i think

http://www.omgubuntu.co.uk/2011/04/how-to-add-and-control-skype-via-the-ubuntu-messaging-menu/

josslate
October 18th, 2011, 11:43 PM
actually my webcam doesn't work with cheese or skype after latest skype/ubuntu installs - tried these 2, which bring up skype OK, but still no webcam
LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l2convert.so skype
any help would be great - thanks

FishRCynic
October 19th, 2011, 02:28 PM
actually my webcam doesn't work with cheese or skype after latest skype/ubuntu installs - tried these 2, which bring up skype OK, but still no webcam
any help would be great - thanks
Hi
Usb webcam assumed
advise the output of
lsusb

Thanks

advise if you need clearer instructions

rapattack1
November 10th, 2011, 03:35 AM
Never did get other webcams working right so happy that i got a Logitech cam that does. Would not have gone out and bought it. Luckily scored it for free :0)

ItalOz
December 15th, 2011, 09:58 AM
big time! worked like a charm.
I did as Arunstar suggested http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=9536960&postcount=31
I wanted to use skype with an alternative webcam to the integrated laptop one so I plugged a USB logitec in but did not work straight away.
It did with your trick

I am on a DELL inspiron 1525 Ubuntu 10.10 and skype 2.2.0.35

Cheers

uglspil
January 15th, 2012, 09:45 PM
I can't seem to get my webcam to work with skype either.
As several others have posted I get:

steffen-randahl@steffen-randahl:~$ LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/libv4l/v4l1compat.so skype

However, I can't see anybody coming up with a solution for this .. ?

I'm on a 1.1 macbook, with built in iSight cam, and Ubuntu 11.10
works great with cheese.

cheers /steffen

ItalOz
May 15th, 2012, 02:33 PM
Hi

I have upgraded to 12.04
the solution proposed works for me in 11.04

now I have tried to apply the same (same hardware only distro upgraded to 12.04) simply varying the path

#!/bin/bash
LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libv4l/v4l1compat.so /usr/bin/skype

but now it doesn't see the webcam and says

ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libv4l/v4l1compat.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.

(skype:9225): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to load type module: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/menuproxies/libappmenu.so

(skype:9225): Gtk-WARNING **: Failed to load type module: /usr/lib/gtk-2.0/2.10.0/menuproxies/libappmenu.so

Any idea of what has changed and why it is not working anymore?

Thanks

Younio
June 6th, 2012, 09:43 AM
Hi

I have upgraded to 12.04
the solution proposed works for me in 11.04

now I have tried to apply the same (same hardware only distro upgraded to 12.04) simply varying the path

#!/bin/bash
LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libv4l/v4l1compat.so /usr/bin/skype

but now it doesn't see the webcam and says

Any idea of what has changed and why it is not working anymore?

Thanks

Hi,

It seems that the location of the library changed in 12.04.

so the right command would be:

LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libv4l/v4l2convert.so skype

ItalOz
June 11th, 2012, 12:54 AM
mmm
seemed to me that my path was correct,
I am not in front of my box at the moment but I'll check as soon as I get to there and update the post.

Thanks

platypuss72
July 1st, 2012, 10:00 AM
Hi,

It seems that the location of the library changed in 12.04.

so the right command would be:

i am using 64 bit and having the same problems :(

i have tried both locations for the file and still get the same error and no camera when skype starts ????
when i go to cheese my camera turns on and works (logitech) little stutters from time to time ....

ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libv4l/v4l2convert.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.

platypuss72
July 1st, 2012, 10:59 AM
i am using 64 bit and having the same problems :(

i have tried both locations for the file and still get the same error and no camera when skype starts ????
when i go to cheese my camera turns on and works (logitech) little stutters from time to time ....

ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libv4l/v4l2convert.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.

after some more hunting forums .... i have FIXED mine :D:D
i found it on the skype forum ...
i did :-

sudo gedit /usr/local/bin/skype
#!/bin/bash
LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libv4l/v4l1compat.so /usr/bin/skype

so now i get camera working when start skype ;)

but is freezing up but think this is another issue ???

shafin
November 4th, 2012, 01:02 AM
after some more hunting forums .... i have FIXED mine :D:D
i found it on the skype forum ...
i did :-

sudo gedit /usr/local/bin/skype
#!/bin/bash
LD_PRELOAD=/usr/lib/i386-linux-gnu/libv4l/v4l1compat.so /usr/bin/skype

so now i get camera working when start skype ;)

but is freezing up but think this is another issue ???

Thanks a bunch, trying to get skype to work on my 64 bit install was driving me nuts.