PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Dumb server question

doctorbighands
November 25th, 2008, 08:48 PM
Hello,

When I go to make my new file server headless, is it okay to unplug the keyboard and mouse while the computer is powered on? If not, how do I make it headless?

Thank you!

perlluver
November 25th, 2008, 08:50 PM
I am certain there are different responses to this, but I have unplugged mice and keyboards and nothing ill happened. Make sure when plugging them in thought that they are the right way or you may burn out the port.

halitech
November 25th, 2008, 08:53 PM
with PS/2 mice and keyboards its not advisable to unplug/plug them when the power is on as it could kill the ports. I have seen a few systems end up with dead ports from unplugging the keyboards and mice with the power on. If its a serial mouse (does anyone other then me even still have a system that uses serial mice and AT keyboards?), no problem at all. If they are USB, then no problem at all.

as always, YMMV

doctorbighands
November 25th, 2008, 09:01 PM
They're both PS/2. I guess I'll give it a shot, as I have no other real choice...

halitech
November 25th, 2008, 09:03 PM
what you could do is go into the BIOS and check for an option on stopping on errors during boot and set it to disabled, then power down, disconnect everything and power it back on. Of course with this you will have no way of knowing if it booted properly or not until you try to connect to it or yo could leave the monitor attached to make sure then disconnect it.