PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Modifying Ubuntu installer

zyklon
November 25th, 2008, 08:30 PM
Hi, first time here on Ubuntu forums (:

I would need a little help with my current school project where I'm supposed to do a Ubuntu fork consisting of only the 'cli' install of the Ubuntu mini cd combined with a lightweight desktop environment, aimed at computers with low to medium performance.

The plan looks something like this:

- 'Slim' install of Ubuntu ('cli'), combined with LXDE or something similar.
- Fluxbox WM with customized theme (panel, background image, colors etc.) + customized splash screen.
- Possibility to add other packages to the install further ahead (program selection with specific target audience).
- Relatively 'simple' (not complicated) install of the OS, pretty much like the 'normal install' of Ubuntu.

The thing is that I'm quite the beginner when it comes to Ubuntu and linux in general; I tried to use the remastersys-script but it ended up going bad (couldn't install on other systems etc.) so I would need some guidance for other ways to solve my problem (if there are any).

So, I would like to modify the installer to install additional packages (and customized Fluxbox and splash screen themes for example) in an as simple way as possible. I've read through "InstallCdCustomization" (https://help.ubuntu.com/community/InstallCDCustomization) but I just dont know for example which packages the 'cli' version of Ubuntu installs (I want these included on the install-cd and not downloaded from the internet during every install).

Where can I find the packages that I want to include in the install in .deb format?
Can I modify some of these packages in any way (for example change default fluxbox theme to one that I have made myself)?
If someone has done anything like this before; how did you do it - step by step?

Thanks in advance.