PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Linux-compatible multifunction inkjet printer/scanner

gontofe
November 25th, 2008, 05:18 PM
Hello all,

I'm looking to replace my Canon Smartbase MP370 (not particularly Linux-friendly) with something a little more useful.

Ideally I'd like something that will replicate its functionality (scan and print), including a card reader if possible.

What are the best ideas? I've seen multifunction inkjets for around 40 in the shops, so that's the sort of price I'm looking at if possible!

Mike

crazyness003
November 25th, 2008, 05:23 PM
Brother printers are notoriously good and play well with linux. I have 2 (1 usb, and 1 networked) and they are multi-functioned. The printers work fine, iv only tested the scan option from one and they both should do the whole PC-FAX..but i hevent tested it. Plus you can get ink online for roughly $4 a pop (about 2 pounds).
The ones i have are the MFC -210c and the MFC-665cw.

gontofe
December 12th, 2008, 12:07 PM
I got myself a Brother DCP-165C, and am very happy with it! Managed to get it scanning and printing, which is very good!

crazyness003
December 15th, 2008, 06:26 AM
oh, i forgot to mention. I got them both connected via 32bit and 64bit in Ubuntu. I even share my 210c via Ubuntu to other windows machines.

SO yeah. I like brother printers (esp their awesome support for linux)

pa2guage
January 10th, 2009, 06:10 AM
I got myself a Brother DCP-165C, and am very happy with it! Managed to get it scanning and printing, which is very good!
Howdy, I too have a Brother dcp-165 printer. I just installed my first taste of Linux this weekend and can't get the printer tooo work. Could you give me an idea of what you did? Please...............

cmoirano
May 25th, 2012, 03:23 PM

<hi. this is a very good printer. But when I replace my 11.10 to 12.04 version, printer DCP-165c doesn't work. I used Brother's drivers for linux ubuntu 12.04 but they don't work. I can scan documents but i can't print them.
Pls. HELP !!:confused:

Ualpa
May 25th, 2012, 04:30 PM
I'm not a great fan of HP (any more), but I recently bought one for my sister (Xubuntu 10.04) because I already had an old Deskjet at home and a Laserjet at the office (both Ubuntu 10.04) and I've never had problems with them. HPLIP (http://hplipopensource.com) seems to me a well developed and complete software and I would say that HP printers in general are reasonably Linux-friendly.

This one - Deskjet 3070A - has four cartridges, wireless and "email-to-print" (though not tested myself yet) and no need to turn on the pc if you only need to copy a document. A bit noisy and definitely not a beautiful object (very "plasticky"), but cheap and hassle free (so far). Ah, no card reader, sorry.