PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Now just got going

happyhacker
November 25th, 2008, 12:19 PM
I have Ubuntu server installed and during the install I just selected ssh to install. I have downloaded webmin and have managed to access it from a laptop using 192.168.0.2 (which I've set as a fixed IP address for the server in our router.). I typed https://<myservername>:10000/ as instructed by webmin installer on the server command line screen but that did not work. If I use the IP address above that works. So I assume I do not have name resolution installed.

1. How do I install name resolution (do I need it)?
2. What is the next step I need to take to get file sharing working in webmin?

ibutho
November 25th, 2008, 12:53 PM
You could edit the hosts file (/etc/hosts on Linux) of your laptop and add something like

192.168.0.2 hostname.localdomain hostname
Replace hostname and localdomain with the hostname and domain name of the server.

happyhacker
November 25th, 2008, 01:24 PM
That would be OK if I use that laptop every time but I want to get at the server from any of the windows PCs on our office network. I'm assuming I will want name resolution going for when I setup file sharing on the server so common files can be accessed from here over the network.

What is the name of the packages I need to do name resolution and file sharing?

cdenley
November 25th, 2008, 03:03 PM
That would be OK if I use that laptop every time but I want to get at the server from any of the windows PCs on our office network. I'm assuming I will want name resolution going for when I setup file sharing on the server so common files can be accessed from here over the network.

What is the name of the packages I need to do name resolution and file sharing?

Samba should allow windows computers to resolve your netbios name, which I believe defaults to your computer name (/etc/hostname). It is also what you need to share files with windows computers.

sudo apt-get install samba

For just name resolution, I've seen bonjour recommended.