PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Sound Recorder Help

AgentZ86
November 25th, 2008, 02:09 AM
Hi

I solved my own problem on this and thought I should change my question to include the answer.

How to use the gnome-sound recorder to record to MP3?

Answer:

In order to (Record as MP3) using the gnome-sound recorder you must install a package called LAME. By default the gnome-sound recorder does not appear to have the ability to record to MP3 option available for ubuntu 32 bit 8.04 or 8.10 versions.

You can install LAME by going to Applications/ Add/Remove and select the (restricted ubuntu extras). This includes the LAME installation.

For 8.10 32 bit users you may get a message about dependencies, so you will have to install (restricted ubuntu extras) from synaptic. Be sure to select the one for Ubuntu if that the one you want. Or Kubuntu if you need that one.

After that you will be able to play a file and/or stream and record it to an mp3. There will now be a menu item in gnome-sound recorder for (Record as MP3)

Also note:
You may need to go to your mixer and add the recording device or checkmark mix in order to record things that you are also playing etc.you may have to play with the mixer setting to find out which one will capture your playing device. But it does work well.

I hope this helps.
Thanks.