PDA

View Full Version : Serious breakage

chrisccoulson
November 24th, 2008, 07:45 PM
Is anyone else disappointed at the lack of serious breakage so far in Jaunty? Every time I upgrade a package, I cross my fingers for breakage but it never happens. This is not good for someone who likes to live on the edge.

Slug71
November 24th, 2008, 07:51 PM
I think thats because its pretty much still Intrepid. Nothing has really changed.

Hopefully the fun will start with Alpha 2.

If we dont have Kernel 2.6.28, OOo-3 and Ext4 by then, im gonna be really dissapointed. I dont see any reason for it not to be. I'd even like to see FF-3.1 and Packagekit by default for Alpha 2 and maybe even Plymouth.

klange
November 24th, 2008, 08:14 PM
Big updates don't need to be dangerous to be fun. I'll be much happier if the move to the current Git X server and kernel .8 causes no issues than if it kills my laptop.

Slug71
November 24th, 2008, 08:42 PM
Big updates don't need to be dangerous to be fun. I'll be much happier if the move to the current Git X server and kernel .8 causes no issues than if it kills my laptop.

Yeh i defs dont want something serious like that. My wife will kill me. :lolflag:

Gina
November 24th, 2008, 08:44 PM
Might as well have ext4 too while we're at it - be ambitious - lots of new stuff :lolflag:

decard_pain
November 24th, 2008, 08:45 PM
serious breakage..
won't happen till alpha 3 when i start using it lol

ronacc
November 24th, 2008, 08:58 PM
it's never serious until it's your system thats broke:lolflag:

Gina
November 24th, 2008, 09:16 PM
Just about to install Jaunty on my laptop - the AMD64 is already running it. Probably install it on my P3 later but I leave the P4 until near release when I'm reasonably sure of no catastrophy.

autocrosser
November 24th, 2008, 09:30 PM
Just wait til after the new year---I bet that we start getting breakage about alpha 3 or 4....Then the fun begins!!!!

chrisccoulson
November 24th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Just wait til after the new year---I bet that we start getting breakage about alpha 3 or 4....Then the fun begins!!!!

Bring it on:)

ktp
November 24th, 2008, 10:13 PM

Yep, new year is sure to bring lots of new fun and games...right now the devs are busy with all the holiday planning/eating!! :)

super.rad
November 24th, 2008, 10:24 PM
Well I'd rather not have any breakage, but cant wait for some of the big updates (that will probably cause breakage anyway)

lswb
November 24th, 2008, 10:25 PM
Is anyone else disappointed at the lack of serious breakage so far in Jaunty? Every time I upgrade a package, I cross my fingers for breakage but it never happens. This is not good for someone who likes to live on the edge.

The developers have barely gotten started! I'm sure by April you will no longer have any reason to be disappointed.

ktp
November 26th, 2008, 05:16 AM
What good developer does not like to wait till last minute?? :)

Geekkit
November 26th, 2008, 05:28 AM

If you want, I could hit you over the head with a hammer ... if it makes you feel better. :)

jerrylamos
November 27th, 2008, 02:45 AM
No Jaunty Alpha 1 sound output at all on four test machines:

Compaq Presario 3.3 gHz Celeron
IBM Thinkpad R31
IBM Thinkpad T40
VIA motherboard

Now to me that's breakage. Big time. No clue from the launchpad bugs so far.

Jerry

ktp
November 27th, 2008, 03:30 AM
There is a thread about no sound which might help...it seems like sounds are getting muted...
http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=6218000&postcount=62

hellion0
November 27th, 2008, 07:26 AM
Breakage? Actually, the latest round of Jaunty updates fixed my laptop's woes!

InfinityCircuit
November 27th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Debian is in deep freeze for Lenny so Sid is quiet, meaning that Debian syncs aren't going to be as volatile as they are for any other release cycle.

Gina
November 27th, 2008, 10:04 AM
No sound on my laptop with Jaunty. And yes, I have checked volume levels etc.

scorpion-kde
December 3rd, 2008, 11:37 PM
Jaunty isn't broken? Try pressing ctrl-c after logging in (or any time X is running). See https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/xorg-server/+bug/304199 If nothing interesting happens, please enlighten me, as I'm getting really pissed. Almost pissed enough to go back to Intrepid:).

ronacc
December 4th, 2008, 12:26 AM
I just tried ctrl>c both on a bare desktop (nothing highlighted) and in gedit (with text highlighted) and it did as expected , nothing in the first case and coppied the highlighted text in the second . Jaunty amd64 .

jerrylamos
December 4th, 2008, 12:39 AM
Deader than a doorknob on my IBM ThinkCentre tower and IBM Thinkpad Laptop. Both have Intel video chips - Intel, heard of them? First Intrepid Compiz broke big time with Intel video chips, now Jaunty is dead altogether.

Both run Alpha 1 alternate install. A few updates past that, then Wham Boom.

NO UPDATES ANY MORE!!!! When (if) the CD Live goes on a diet and fits on a CD I'll try that. Updates are killers.

Jerry

DougieFresh4U
December 4th, 2008, 04:43 AM
Both have Intel video chips - Intel, heard of them?
Jerry

Too funny!!
What is up with Intel? This Intel chip drama has been going on and on. I guess I am supposed to be grateful for 'vesa', as I can still get around (forced to) all the Intel drama and get a working desktop.
(I have the Intel865G chipset)

scorpion-kde
December 4th, 2008, 05:56 AM
I just tried ctrl>c both on a bare desktop (nothing highlighted) and in gedit (with text highlighted) and it did as expected , nothing in the first case and coppied the highlighted text in the second . Jaunty amd64 .

Strange. For me, it kills X. It's as if the keystroke goes through X to the underlying VT. What video chipset do you have? Also, what version of the X server and kernel are you running? I have an Intel 965 graphics chipset, and I'm running X version 1.5.3 under kernel 2.6.27-7 on amd64.

ronacc
December 4th, 2008, 08:40 AM
probably the intel graphics are causing it , see above 2 posts . I have Nvidia 7600gs with kernel 2.6.28-ub-2 and hand installed Nvidia 180.08 driver .

shirishagarwal
December 4th, 2008, 02:06 PM
Still no love for me, Intel845G (a generation tad older than the 865G) chipset, all the three kernels including 2.6.27, 2.6.28-1-ub-generic as well as 2.6.28-2-generic. Dunno when we will have a working desktop.

hardhu
December 4th, 2008, 05:12 PM

Kde 4.2 is almost completely broken in Jaunty, if you want to give it a try...

cmay
December 5th, 2008, 07:36 AM
i updated thins morning and it killed jaunty completely. it can be done.....

ShirishAg75
December 5th, 2008, 08:08 AM
what do you mean by it killed jaunty, could you be a more bit more specific. X is not working, updates are not working, what do you mean by killed jaunty.

This is me shirishagarwal, got my old stuff back, apparently this was not my issue but ubuntuforums itself was borked http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1001696

cmay
December 5th, 2008, 08:51 AM
what do you mean by it killed jaunty, could you be a more bit more specific. X is not working, updates are not working, what do you mean by killed jaunty.

This is me shirishagarwal, got my old stuff back, apparently this was not my issue but ubuntuforums itself was borked http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1001696

the applications menu could be react to mouse input so i could start terminal fire fox and games but the windows ( that means all programs ) stopped responding to mouse input. i could not even move the windows or shut down the computer. after a few hard resets it stopped booting. which means it must be x windows system, or what ever that controls the mouse and keyboard and windows to interact.