PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Should my machine be connecting to ns.alt.org and am.net?

phylae
November 24th, 2008, 09:02 AM
I have a file server on my network that is running Ubuntu 7.10. I ignore it for the most part because it just serves my files (and does that quite well). However, today I logged into the server via SSH, and I ran iftop. I had just moved my router and I wanted to see if I was still getting the same network speed.

I saw that my fileserver was connecting to ns.alt.org and am.net. I couldn't figure out from going to those websites why my machine would be connecting to them. I do have it configured to update a dynamic DNS every once in a while, but I didn't tell it to use those websites.

Has someone hijacked my server? Why would my machine be connecting to these sites??

Thanks

spinanicky
February 2nd, 2009, 10:15 AM
block the ip's that relate to those two servers. Should anything start acting up on your server then you know a program needs it. If everything stays ok then just leave them blocked.

jerome1232
February 2nd, 2009, 10:20 AM
Does iftop show what program is making the connection?

If not have a peak at netstat, knowing what program is making the connection can help alot in figuring out why there's a connection there.

sudo netstat -tap

phylae
February 2nd, 2009, 09:03 PM
Thanks! It turns out it was clamav. I've got this machine servering files to windows, so I keep that running in the background. I guess it updates itself more often than I thought.