PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Help, Intrepid messed up my sound!

raccoonone
November 24th, 2008, 07:31 AM
I recently upgraded to Intrepid and I'm having a lot of problems with my sound now.
First of all, the sound in Pidgin will intermittently stop working completely, and only work again if I restart the program.
Second, I'm having problems with Songbird as well as other programs that generate sound, Java apps, Flash...etc. Every now and then they will start skipping and stuttering, and the only way to fix it is to close the program and start it up again.

A couple things I've noticed that might help:
When the sound gets messed up in Songbird the GUI becomes unresponsive, not only in Songbird but my whole computer.
In Pidgin when I close it, just at that instant I will hear a whole bunch of sounds played, as if they had all been waiting to play and then get played at once.

Some info about my computer:
Ubuntu 8.10 x64
using on-board sound from my ASUS P5B Deluxe.

Thanks in advance if anyone can help me. Just let me know if you need any more info.

raccoonone
November 25th, 2008, 12:40 AM
Any ideas, or is it possible to downgrade to Hardy?

fredbird67
November 25th, 2008, 01:09 AM
Tell me something: When you upgraded, did you just upgrade, or did you do a clean installation? Next time you upgrade, I would strongly suggest backing up everything you wish to save and do a clean install.

Naturally, as you may have guessed, the only way to downgrade to Hardy is to back up all your files and do a clean installation. Besides, Hardy is, as I'm sure you probably know, an LTS (long-term support) release, and it'll be supported all the way up until April of 2011, so I think that would be your best course of action.

raccoonone
November 25th, 2008, 03:58 AM
I used the upgrade manager. I'll try a clean install of Intrepid, and then go back to Hardy if that doesn't work