PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Data Recovery Help Needed

russ5811
November 24th, 2008, 06:59 AM
I recently followed a tutorial to put my Home on a different partition. (Here's the link to the tutorial: http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/separatehome )

After I did this, I got numerous errors involving .dmrc and .ICEauthority. I tried to use recovery mode and the live CD to fix this and it did not work.

So, I now just want to reinstall Ubuntu 8.10, but I have a MAJOR problem. All the files in my Documents, Music, and Video folders are not accessible. I can see them, but when I try to copy them to an external hard drive, I get write errors because the files can't be read because I'm not the owner.

Please, can someone tell me what to do to recover these files either from the live CD environment or from the recovery mode command line. I have some irreplaceable files in there.

I can't believe I was this stupid!! PLEASE HELP Guys!

santy_kushwaha
November 24th, 2008, 07:05 AM
first of all i wanted to know that when u created the partition did u choose the part of the HDD which had those files and and overwrite it or it was just and issue caused while u creating an fresh partion at different location

antmenj
November 24th, 2008, 07:06 AM
My favorite way is to boot a puppy linux live CD. If you can mount drives with the ubuntu live CD you may be able to use that.

OR

If your drive is less than half full you may be able to squash the partition with gparted then copy the first partition to the seconds and then delete the first one and reinstall then mount the second in your new install and copy across the stuff you want.

OR someone tells you how to fix what you did.

russ5811
November 24th, 2008, 07:08 AM
I followed the tutorial i linked to exactly. I created a new partition, copied my /home folder there, backed up the /home folder on the original partition, then went in with gedit and added some sort of command to the bottom of the page. I'm somewhat of a newbie at this so it may help to look at the link to see what i did.

thank you for even trying to help!

russ5811
November 24th, 2008, 07:09 AM
i've tried the live cd. i can find the files, but I cannot access them or change their permissions in order to copy them. i've tried this from the original /home folder, the backup of the original /home folder, and from the new /home folder on the new partition.

russ5811
November 24th, 2008, 07:10 AM
see my reply below

santy_kushwaha
November 24th, 2008, 07:16 AM
hey do u have a second computer at home.....if so then take out ur HDD and plugin it in as a slave and try to get files out

if not the only way to take them out is try to gain a root access and i have to test b4 telling u how to get root access in live CD or wait till some expert come and look ur post

russ5811
November 24th, 2008, 07:18 AM
i have a 2nd computer (which I'm on) but it's a laptop. what is the other way you speak of?

bumanie
November 24th, 2008, 07:19 AM
You should be able to able to mount the file system with the files you want to retrieve as root and copy them to another partition/drive, via a live cd.
Do you know the name of the partition you wish to copy from and the name of the device you wish to send the files to? If so, please state which is which. You could also do dd commands to copy the whole partition to another device with a healthy filesystem on it - this can also be done with gparted, just ensure that the device you are sending the filesystem to is of equal or greater capacity than the partition you are copying. I prefer dd commands but that will only be useful if the 'target' device is larger than the one containing the files you want.

russ5811
November 24th, 2008, 07:21 AM
the original /home folder is on dev/sda1 and the copy is on dev/sda3 i have an external usb HDD that i would like to copy them on. dev/sda1 is about 250GB and dev/sda3 is 50GB. unfortunately, the external HDD is only 40GB

bumanie
November 24th, 2008, 07:24 AM
OK, that means you are stuck trying to copy the files only. Which partition can you 'see' the files on? sda1 or sda3? I assume the external device will mount as sdb. Is this correct?

russ5811
November 24th, 2008, 07:25 AM
both. i can see the files on both partitions (dev/sda1 and dev/sda3)

bumanie
November 24th, 2008, 08:24 AM
It's a while since I've done this myself - I think this is correct. Boot live cd, go to terminal
sudo -iwill give you a bash shell as root.
mkdir /mnt/recoveryThis makes a mount point to mount /dev/sda1's filesytem to
mount -t ext3 dev/sda1 /mnt/recoverymounts /dev/sda1 filesystem to /mnt/recovery
cd /mnt/recovery
ls -al you should be able to see the names of all the files on that partition. then
cp -R <filename> /dev/sdbI think this will work, assuming /dev/sdb is the name of your external drive, if not substitute the correct name. Good luck. Wait for confirmation from someone else if you like.

russ5811
November 24th, 2008, 12:59 PM
Here's what I did. Is something wrong? I did not see the filenames.

ubuntu@ubuntu:~$ sudo -i
root@ubuntu:~# mkdir/mnt/recovery
-bash: mkdir/mnt/recovery: No such file or directory
root@ubuntu:~# mkdir /mnt/recovery
root@ubuntu:~# mount -t ext3 dev/sda1/mnt/recovery
Usage: mount -V : print version
mount -h : print this help
mount : list mounted filesystems
mount -l : idem, including volume labels
So far the informational part. Next the mounting.
The command is `mount [-t fstype] something somewhere'.
Details found in /etc/fstab may be omitted.
mount -a [-t|-O] ... : mount all stuff from /etc/fstab
mount device : mount device at the known place
mount directory : mount known device here
mount -t type dev dir : ordinary mount command
Note that one does not really mount a device, one mounts
a filesystem (of the given type) found on the device.
One can also mount an already visible directory tree elsewhere:
mount --bind olddir newdir
or move a subtree:
mount --move olddir newdir
One can change the type of mount containing the directory dir:
mount --make-shared dir
mount --make-slave dir
mount --make-private dir
mount --make-unbindable dir
One can change the type of all the mounts in a mount subtree
containing the directory dir:
mount --make-rshared dir
mount --make-rslave dir
mount --make-rprivate dir
mount --make-runbindable dir
A device can be given by name, say /dev/hda1 or /dev/cdrom,
or by label, using -L label or by uuid, using -U uuid .
Other options: [-nfFrsvw] [-o options] [-p passwdfd].
For many more details, say man 8 mount .
root@ubuntu:~# cd /mnt/recovery
root@ubuntu:/mnt/recovery# ls -al
total 0
drwxr-xr-x 2 root root 40 2008-11-24 12:13 .
drwxr-xr-x 3 root root 60 2008-11-24 12:13 ..
root@ubuntu:/mnt/recovery#

4leite
November 24th, 2008, 02:58 PM
The message after the command "mount -t ext3 dev/sda1/mnt/recovery" is because you need an extra space, the command should be:

mount -t ext3 dev/sda1 /mnt/recovery

However, I would caution against the use of "sudo -i". The prefered method is "sudo [command]" for each command. This less convenient, but there is less risk of performing commands as the super user unnecesarily. After you type "sudo -i" you should remember to type "exit" or otherwise close the terminal.

A few questions:
What version/flavour of Ubuntu are you running?
Could you boot the live cd, open a terminal, type:

mount | grep /dev/sd

and paste the output?

I suspect the drive will be mounted automatically either similar to:
/dev/sda3 /media/disk-2

Replace <source> and <destination> with what you found above to copy your files.

sudo cp -R /media/<source> /media/<destination>

Don't forget the space between "/media/<source>" and "/media/<destination>"

ByteJuggler
November 25th, 2008, 02:09 PM
Just another correction, the mount command should be:

mount -t ext3 /dev/sda1 /mnt/recovery

(Note the leading slash on the "dev/sda1" that's been added. Without the leading "/" the mount command will assume the "dev" folder to be in the current folder, which is incorrect unless you're running the command from the "/" folder.)

handydan918
November 25th, 2008, 02:57 PM
You posted as your mkdir command:

mkdir/mnt/recovery

Whereas it needs to be

mkdir /mnt/recovery

note the space between mkdir and /mnt/recovery.
This is sufficient to cause the errors you are getting.