PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Upgrading distros

adobrakic
November 24th, 2008, 06:27 AM
I think this should pertain to all of the distros, but its particularly aimed at Linux Mint. With the release of Ubuntu 8,10, Linux Mint is also coming out with version 6.

Is it possible for me to upgrade to LM6 without losing all of my stuff? e.g firefox bookmarks, passwords or pidgin screen names, etc.

santy_kushwaha
November 24th, 2008, 07:08 AM
well tell u frankly i excatly dont know but when i did upgrade form ubuntu 6 to 7 i didn't lost anydata but i did my upgrade using the update manager thing..........but when u are changing to different version of OS so dooubt it gonna work......

jyaan
November 24th, 2008, 07:30 AM
The easiest way to handle this is to always use a separate /home partition. This way you can install a new distro and keep all your data, although you will still need to re-install applications. Anyways, you just need to back up the configuration files and data that you want to keep. There will be hidden folders (they start with a dot) for each application, and that will contain the config settings. Just back those up before you do it and you should be OK.