PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Is it difficult for Ubuntu to be uninstalled?

duan77084
November 24th, 2008, 02:31 AM
Hi, All:

If I want to uninstall Ubuntu after it is installed, is it easy to uninstall??

Thanks very much in advance.

blackened
November 24th, 2008, 02:32 AM
Hi, All:

If I want to uninstall Ubuntu after it is installed, is it easy to uninstall??

Thanks very much in advance.

It's as simple as removing the partition and extending the partition of whatever operating system you choose into the unallocated space. Or you could do a fresh install of another OS and use the whole disk.

Soriano
November 24th, 2008, 02:33 AM
If you only have ubuntu on your hard drive and want to install something different or reinstall ubuntu then you just need to put the new disk in the tray and it will reformat your hard drive, effectively erasing all evidence of your curent Ubuntu install.

ixmei
November 24th, 2008, 02:33 AM
it depends on what you mean by uninstall. its the same difficulty level as windows or any other operating system. (which you dont exactly uninstall)

duan77084
November 24th, 2008, 02:39 AM
I mean after I install Ubuntu under windows Vista home, if I want to remove Ubuntu from my computer and keep my computer single os - window system, is there any problem for me to do this?

OutOfReach
November 24th, 2008, 02:43 AM
If you installed Ubuntu in Windows (that's what you meant right?) then I think you can uninstall from the Add Remove Programs program in Windows.

Otherwise you would need to wipe out the partition that Ubuntu resides on (which is not hard, actually it is easy).

raycosm
November 24th, 2008, 02:48 AM
All you really need to do is delete the partition with Linux on it and expand the Vista one back to fill the entire hard drive. You could do that within Windows by right clicking on "Computer" and clicking "Manage," I believe under "Disk Management" or something similar you can delete the Linux partition(s) and expand Windows.

You might also want to put the Vista bootloader back, instead of using GRUB to load Windows, you could do that with EasyBCD (http://neosmart.net/dl.php?id=1)

That's how I remember uninstalling Ubuntu, it was back when everyone used Feisty. I went back to Linux with Linux Mint Elyssa, and I have Intrepid on another laptop.

Now, if you installed Ubuntu in Windows (put in the CD when you were in Windows and followed the setup in Windows) and never partitioned your disk, well I think you can just go to "Uninstall A Program." I've never done that myself though.

duan77084
November 24th, 2008, 02:51 AM
Yes, that is what I mean. Is removing Ubuntu is just like remove an installed software in window systems by add/remove programm?

Thank you very much.

CJ Master
November 24th, 2008, 02:57 AM
Yes, that is what I mean. Is removing Ubuntu is just like remove an installed software in window systems by add/remove programm?

Thank you very much.

If you install it INSIDE windows, yes.

If you install it while booting up, no, you'll have to follow the partion instructions everyone else is giving.

Hope I was of help!

kansasnoob
November 24th, 2008, 03:07 AM
Look here:

http://www.users.bigpond.net.au/hermanzone/p18.htm