View Full Version : [ubuntu] Zune or Ipod

November 24th, 2008, 12:18 AM
Right now I am between buying a zune 2 or an ipod video. I want to know which would be more compatible with my OS. I run Heron but, i'm planning on upgrading to Ivex. So far all I've heard about zune syncs only with vmware player which I have no idea how to install. Also, I understand it is easier to put linux on an ipod which could make it more fun to have.

November 24th, 2008, 12:21 AM
a). ipod's are easier to sync than zunes by far.

b). rockbox rocks. (google it). got it on my ipod video 30gb and love it.

however, apple don't like people playing with things they have bought, so have locked the firware on later models. so if you buy a new model ipod video, you're not putting anything like linux or rockbox on it period...

November 24th, 2008, 12:22 AM
I would go with the iPod, it is better supported then Zune.
Yes you can put Linux on your iPod but it depends on the model, it won't work with all models.

November 24th, 2008, 12:57 AM
im a new ubuntu user.... although i already have a zune..

On a scale of 1-Super Huge Pain In The ***. How hard is it to gt zune to work?

November 24th, 2008, 01:05 AM
zune sucks just because its a microsoft product

it took me at least a thousand steps just to sync up my player

November 24th, 2008, 01:14 AM
ya... after a year ive come to realize zune is a POS.

Not so much the player its self.

But the software was absolute garbage.

so much for trying to be different and not buying an apple product. Even though i went through 2 ipods.

November 24th, 2008, 01:18 AM
Why not just get a Cowon iAudio they support Linux and have OGG and FLAC playback.

November 24th, 2008, 01:25 AM
My ipod sync's up fine, just have never figured how to upload playlist/songs to it while in linux. Rockbox dosent work for my ipod since its a 80gig video classic thats fairly new.

November 27th, 2008, 10:20 PM
what about the itouch i have been looking at those and it seems pretty good. Also, I am considering jailbreaking it. If someone could point me to resources on that and tell me if it is still syncable and useable with linux?

November 27th, 2008, 10:40 PM
not only is the ipod better supported, its more user friendly.

November 27th, 2008, 11:54 PM
Also, I'd like to ask if rythm box will upload all of my media like movies and maybe even e-books?

November 28th, 2008, 12:01 AM
Sorry rhythmbox can't do movies but I think it can do podcasts.

November 28th, 2008, 12:04 AM
gtkPod can put video on the iPod. I don't know if it's officially supported or if gtkPod even understands what it's doing, but it ends up on the iPod and you can play it... so....