PDA

View Full Version : [other] [SOLVED] Burning Data DVDs

Lazy-buntu
November 23rd, 2008, 09:49 PM
So I decided to back up some folders, data, etc. on a DVD in Vista. Big mistake.

I have no problem reading the data on my Vista portion of my laptop, but god forbid I take that DVD and expect it to read on my family's computer running XP...or even sometimes Ubuntu.

What's odd is even if I burn an ISO like I did today (on Vista), burned as an image onto the DVD, it appears as a blank CD on my family's computer running XP.

I'm wondering if it has to do with what software I'm using (Roxio 8 I believe) either the settings or the OS (Vista)...

Right now I'm converting the disc to an ISO on Ubuntu and I'm going to burn a fresh disc using Brasero.

Any one run into this issue before? I find it especially frustrating because that's the whole point of external media.

jimmy the saint
November 23rd, 2008, 09:59 PM
I would imagin it has to do with vista or roxio using a proprietary format to compress the data on the dvd as opposed to straight iso. Lots of burning apps do that. Also, Vista is one big honkin DRM machine. I haven't tried it because I haven't subjected my precious box to vista, (I love it too much!) but those are some definite possibilities.

Oh, and if that is the case, reburning the DVD will likely not work, as the data itself may have been compressed using that format.

Lazy-buntu
November 23rd, 2008, 10:01 PM
I should definitely know after burning it with Brasero then.

It's about 70% so I'll post back soon. If it is Vista/Roxio then this post is in the wrong section :P

Lazy-buntu
November 23rd, 2008, 10:01 PM
I should definitely know after burning it with Brasero then.

It's about 70% so I'll post back soon. If it is Vista/Roxio then this post is in the wrong section :P

Lazy-buntu
November 23rd, 2008, 10:10 PM
It burned with Brasero and works flawlessly. So now it's time for a new burning software that doesn't restrict your data to your machine or whatever the hell it was doing.

This is probably a pretty easy thing to research, but what DVD/CD burning software/suite do you like? I've got InfraRecorder portable on a flash drive, but I'm sure there's something more like Brasero out there for Windows.

Found http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/the-best-free-alternatives-to-nero-cddvd-burner/

Anyone use one of those?

jimmy the saint
November 23rd, 2008, 10:20 PM
I usually use poweriso if I am using windows, but I haven't in a couple of years.