PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Status : Error : Wrong Architecture 'i386'

FunkyBluffMan
November 23rd, 2008, 06:57 PM
Hi,

I've just installed ubuntu 8.10 using WUBI. I'm trying to install skype on it. I downloaded the "Ubuntu 7.04-8.04" option on Skypes download page and when I try and install it I get the following error message

I know I have a intel processor which is not 64bit though I think my motherboard may support 64bit.

I'm new to linux/ubuntu and really like it except I need to try and figure out how to compile/install programs.

How can I get skype installed. I'm also looking for yahoo messenger or another program to use to chat to people on Windows but it must be able to use a webcam.

beno1990
November 23rd, 2008, 07:01 PM
Navigate to the folder you have the .deb file for Skype in (using the cd command), and then do the following:

sudo dpkg <filename>.deb

Paqman
November 23rd, 2008, 07:03 PM
Actually, you probably do have a 64-bit processor, because it seems like Wubi has installed 64-bit Ubuntu.

what does it say if you put this into a terminal:

uname -m

FunkyBluffMan
November 23rd, 2008, 07:07 PM
when I run uname it says x86_64. I only have a old P4 3.0GHZ any originally Dell Dimension 3100.

Paqman
November 23rd, 2008, 07:13 PM
when I run uname it says x86_64. I only have a old P4 3.0GHZ any originally Dell Dimension 3100.

Congratulations, you are running 64-bit Ubuntu!

There doesn't seem to be a 64-bit version of Skype available, which is very slack of them. If you really want Skype and aren't bothered about reinstalling then you can force Wubi to install 32-bit, as mentioned on the Wubi site:

Can I force Wubi to download and install a 32 bit version of Ubuntu?

Yes, either pre-download the appropriate 32 bit ISO manually and place it in the same folder as Wubi.exe or start Wubi with the "--32bit" argument.

FunkyBluffMan
November 23rd, 2008, 07:21 PM
Just found these two links quiet useful
http://packages.medibuntu.org/intrepid/skype-common.html
http://packages.medibuntu.org/intrepid/skype.html

It does have 64bit versions there. Is it hard to get 32bit software working on 64bit? I just want a webcam chat that I can use on my distro and that would allow my windows contacts to use so that we can see each other when we chating. I manged to log into kype though I dont know if I can webcam chat yet.