PDA

View Full Version : [xubuntu] Setting up a Shared Network folder

mudrain911
November 23rd, 2008, 06:09 PM
I have a feeling this is something really easy to do, but before I actually try it I figured I would ask and make sure. Is there a certain way you would set up a shared network folder to go between a windows (xp) machine and a Xubuntu (intrepid) machine? If there is a special way to do this can someone help me out? Thanks alot!

NESFreak
November 23rd, 2008, 06:17 PM
rightclick on a directory you'd like to share. There should be something like shareoptions. follow the instructions.
----
lol srry i forgot you're using xubuntu. Shouldn't be to different although i wouldn't know for sure, it has been a while since all my pc's run ubuntu fine.

aktiwers
November 23rd, 2008, 06:19 PM
Right click on the folder and pick "Properties".
Then go to the "Share" tab and enable "share this folder". It will then proberbly prompt you to install the needed software. Samba is the name of the software, and when you are done you should find your Windows share under Places => Networks=> Windows Share

mudrain911
November 23rd, 2008, 06:20 PM
ummm...Thunar doesn't have that, or at least I cant find it. (I'm trying to do this on the Xubuntu computer)

mudrain911
November 23rd, 2008, 06:29 PM
Does this Samba program work the same in Xfce? If it does could I just install that and set up the shared folders?

aktiwers
November 23rd, 2008, 06:42 PM
Im not that experienced with XFCE, but Samba works with it.
So I guess the answer to your question would be yes :)

Else you can install nautilus and do like I said before.
sudo apt-get install nautilus
and run it from terminal:
nautilus

But I guess there is a "better" way to do this from XFCE.

But SAMBA is what you are looking for.

mudrain911
November 23rd, 2008, 07:06 PM
ok... to be honest I feel completely stupid now. I went to Applications > System >, and right there on the menu it says 'shared folders'. I'm almost embarrassed lol. Thanks for all your help, I just got it to work (and btw it did need Samba). Thanks again.