PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] gnome-terminal windows size on open

graysky
November 23rd, 2008, 05:18 PM
How can I set my launcher to gnome-terminal to open the shell window to a specific size? Currently it's roughly 577x385... I'd like it to be a bit wider, say 620x385.

I tried it with the --geometry 620x385 but that made it enormous, way beyond the dimensions of my monitor.

Thanks!

hictio
November 23rd, 2008, 06:00 PM
That's because:

The WIDTH and HEIGHT parts of the geometry specifications are usually measured in either pixels or characters....

Take a look at the man page of X, pretty likely you won't have it on an Ubuntu box, because it uses Xorg, I have take a peek at my FreeBSD box :D
The geometry is applied like this:

--geometry WIDTHxHEIGHT+XOFF+YOFF

Do some tests with smaller values, like:

gnome-terminal --geometry 85x7+100+20

hictio
November 23rd, 2008, 06:17 PM
Another thing, I'm running Compiz, with the "Place window" plugin enabled on the CompizConfig Settings Manager, if you remove the XOFF & YOFF bit form the '--geometry' directive, it will honor the plugin's behaviour, or, well, at least, it is doing so with the one I'm using: "Cascade" placement.

But, if you add that, all the gnome-terminal windows will open on the same place disobeying the plugin's instructions, and, on top of that, all the windows will be one on top of each other.

graysky
November 23rd, 2008, 06:39 PM
Take a look at the man page of X, pretty likely you won't have it on an Ubuntu box, because it uses Xorg, I have take a peek at my FreeBSD box :D
]

Thanks dude, this is exactly what I wanted.

gnome-terminal --geometry 95x25+100+20

That gave a windows of 682x400 which is close enough :)