PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] how to delete a workgroup

corkscrew
November 23rd, 2008, 03:44 PM
I have a mixed xp ubuntu network. I have samba installed and can share folders with xp boxes.
However the widows network workgroup is called homebase. By default when i installed samba it made a workgroup called "WORKGROUP". I have edited my smb.conf file to homebase.
But under network in from the places menu it still shows the WORKGROUP as well, and it will not allow me to delete it?
How can i delete it?

Dedoimedo
November 23rd, 2008, 04:14 PM
Did you restart the samba process after the change?
You can do it by running: sudo service samba restart. Also, try logging out of the session.
Dedoimedo

corkscrew
November 23rd, 2008, 04:31 PM
i tried restarting the computer and its stll there

Dedoimedo
November 23rd, 2008, 04:34 PM
What's inside this workgroup?

If you check the following files, does it mention workgroup anywhere?

cat /etc/hosts

cat /etc/resolv.conf

Dedoimedo

corkscrew
November 23rd, 2008, 05:01 PM
solved it, the "WORKGROUP" was still listed on one of my windows boxes, I deleted it there, restarted all boxes and its gone.

One other problem though i wonder if you could help me with, I have 2 notebooks i is dual boot vista and ubuntu (never use the vista) the other xp only, and 1 desktop triple boot vista xp and ubuntu (dont use vista).

I have samba installed on the desktop and can access from system - admin menu.
On the ubuntu notebook i have samba installed now as well but its not on the menu how do I add it to the admin menu?

Dedoimedo
November 23rd, 2008, 07:49 PM
Sorry, I don't follow what you need. You need a shortcut?
Dedoimedo

corkscrew
November 23rd, 2008, 09:07 PM
I suppose they are called shortcuts
on the desktop if i click the top menu system and then administration there is an entry for samba there is'nt one on the notebook?

I had a look at the launcher properties of the one that works on the desktop it is
" gksu system-config-samba" i have tried entering that into a terminal in the notebook.
It asks for password same as desktop but then nothing happens?