PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Command Prompt upon CD booting

msbealo
November 23rd, 2008, 01:31 PM
Hello,

I'm keen to move across from Windows, but I'm having a problem.

When I boot from the CD I get to choose my language and then start to boot 8.10. The progress bar goes backwards and forwards for some time and then the progress bar starts to fill. It fills, I then see a shell, a few messages pop up and go before I can see them and then I'm simply left with the Linux command prompt.

There is no obvious error message that I can see. It tells me where to find the documentations and also something about running commands in administrator mode and that's it.

I can type commands but that's about it.

Is there anyway for me to find out what the problem is or any suggests on what I should do next? I've tried to look at the documentation but couldn't find anything that covered CD booting problems.

Again, all I'm trying to do it boot from the CD and I'm not even trying to install it yet.

System Specs: Mobile Athlon XP 2600+
448MB of RAM
26 megs free HD space

Thanks,

insane_alien
November 23rd, 2008, 01:33 PM
try selecting the check disk integrity option.

it is possible you have a bad burn

Michael.Godawski
November 23rd, 2008, 02:16 PM
System Specs: Mobile Athlon XP 2600+
448MB of RAM
26 megs free HD space

really only 26 megs free space?:)
but i cannot imagine that has something to do with your CD not working.

A good way to avoid burning errors is to follow psychocats instructions:
http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/iso

-Zeus-
November 23rd, 2008, 02:17 PM
it shouldn't, but the 26mb free could be the problem...

Michael.Godawski
November 23rd, 2008, 02:20 PM
hi Zeus
do you think Ubuntu is somehow checking the free disk space to make sure there is enough space for a future installation? Could be. But I am not 100% sure.

fooman
November 23rd, 2008, 02:30 PM
boot the live cd and after you choose language...press f4

choose safe graphics mode and see if you can get to the desktop.

Dr Small
November 23rd, 2008, 02:57 PM
Sounds like a problem with the graphics card. Probably is missing the drivers for it, so X isn't starting. The vesa drivers should work for it, though.

msbealo
January 18th, 2009, 06:10 PM
Guys,

Thanks for your replies. I've only just seen that anyone did reply as I didn't receive a message letting me know.

I sorted the problem out quite quickly after a little more digging.

xorg.0.log was complaining that it couldn't find any suitable screen resolution and was therefore failing to find a screen.

I simply changed my xorg.cong file to include:

Section "Monitor"
Identifier "Configured Monitor"
HorizSync 31-51
VertRefresh 50-70
EndSection

For the confused beginner out there, I did this by opening the xorg.conf file using

sudo nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

This somehow does the trick and my X windows starts up every time using the openchrome driver.

Just so people know, I have an old Acer Aspire 1350.

Also.. I think I had 23 gigs available at the time of my previous post. Now I only have Ubuntu installed and quite a bit more space.

Thanks.