PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] GUI has disappeared

Chris62
November 23rd, 2008, 01:22 PM
I was hoping that I wouldn't be back here for a while but here I am. I have a dual boot Windows XP/Ubuntu 8.10 Machine. The Windows part of the machine uses an NVIDIA GeForce 9500 GT graphics card.

When I was looking at the Hardware Drivers in "System/Administration" in Ubuntu I saw that it recommended one of three NVIDIA drivers so I thought I would try it because in my old computer which was also dual boot and which also had a GeForce (6200) graphics card it was recommended to try an NVIDIA driver which I did with a much improved display.

Unfortunately doing the same thing with the new computer has resulted in the loss of my desktop. When I boot into Ubuntu all I get now is a command line prompt.

Could someone tell me how to get the GUI back and how to deactivate the NVIDIA driver from the command line? I am assuming that if I deactivate the driver things will return to the way they were. I have already tried the following:

cd /etc/X11
sudo cp xorg.conf xorg.old
sudo dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg

but it didn't work, mainly, I suspect, because I didn't know the answers to some of the questions it asked.

If it is relevant. the monitor is an HP w1907v wide screen LCD monitor

Could someone please help?

Many thanks

krtica
November 23rd, 2008, 01:28 PM
Maybe you could try to edit xorg.conf

$ nano /etc/X11/xorg.conf

and check which driver you use.
Maybe you could try to use vesa to start GUI and then try to fix problem with nvidia drivers.

:confused:

AnoPoli
November 23rd, 2008, 01:30 PM
Have you tried the Alt+F7 to see what is happening back there?

fooman
November 23rd, 2008, 01:33 PM
i would try booting up and at the grub menu...choose recovery mode.

that should bring you to a menu...try the "xfix" option. see if that gets you to the desktop.

Chris62
November 23rd, 2008, 03:50 PM
Thanks krtica that revealed that it is using "nvidia" driver. Unfortnately I don't know the name of the Ubuntu video driver so I am not sure what to replace "nvidia" with. I am not sure whether it was my attempt to use the NVIDIA driver is the cause of the problem or whether it is a coincidence that this happened after trying to use it

Chris62
November 23rd, 2008, 03:52 PM
AnoPoli, ALT+F7 does nothing and CTRL+ALT+F7 produces a blank screen

Chris62
November 23rd, 2008, 03:53 PM
Thanks fooman, xfix didn't

krtica
November 23rd, 2008, 03:54 PM
Try to put "vesa" instead of "nvidia"...

Chris62
November 23rd, 2008, 05:31 PM
Thanks krtica but that didn't work. When I rebooted after doing that I just got "Ubuntu 8.10 chris-desktop tty1" followed by "chris-desktop login:" on the screen. When I tried the Recovery Boot up I tried xfix again and also 'repair'broken packages. At one stage I got a message to the effect that there was a 'zombie' process operating, but nothing was fixed.

I think the answer is going to be to re-format the drive containing Ubuntu and possibly to reinstall ubuntu, or possibly just leave it empty and use it as a backup drive for Windows

fooman
November 23rd, 2008, 05:57 PM
Try to put "vesa" instead of "nvidia"...

try "nv" instead of vesa or nvidia

Chris62
November 23rd, 2008, 07:52 PM
Thanks krtica and fooman,

I tried both suggestions but neither had any effect. When it boots I end up with a screen that says "Ubuntu 8.10 chris-desktop tty1" followed by
"chris-desktop login:"

When I tried to edit xorg.conf with gedit, it said "Cannot open display" and somewhere along the line there was a message that there was a "zombie" process.

I have spent nearly a week, one way or another, trying to make things work in Ubuntu and am thinking now that the best thing would be to re-format the drive containing Ubuntu (it is on a drive of its own) and either re-install it or else just leave it as a backup drive for Windows. I am beginning to thing that Ubuntu is not for me!