PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] lost window bar on ubuntu

Paul VW
November 23rd, 2008, 09:56 AM
please help, or I will go back to windows, as I am getting fed up with getting nowhere!!

I did post a thread about this problem a couple of weeks ago http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=967442

my wifes account has (not mine!!) has lost its window bar (this bit at the top, eg its brown and currently says "Ubuntu Forums - Post New Thread")

I have tried a lot of things like changing the appearance settings, I even deleted her account, and made a new one with a different name, and the problem is still there.

its very difficult to do anything in terminal, as that appears as a white box ans I cant see what I am typing!!

would some screen shots help?

cdtech
November 23rd, 2008, 10:00 AM
"would some screen shots help?"

Yes,,

Paul VW
November 23rd, 2008, 10:24 AM
ok here you go, 1 screen shot of terminal, and one of firefox with the window bar missing

lswest
November 23rd, 2008, 10:34 AM
try running
gtk-window-decorator --replace from the run command dialog (alt + F2)

Paul VW
November 23rd, 2008, 10:42 AM
no, did not change a thing :confused:

lswest
November 23rd, 2008, 10:44 AM
no, did not change a thing :confused:

Hmm, then you can try running
metacity --replace from the same window dialog as before. If that also doesn't work, what's your graphics card, and are you using compiz? Give me some info about your graphical setup (screen resolution, driver, card, etc.)

Also, please post the output of
uname -r from the terminal (applications-->accessories-->terminal).

Thanks, and I think we can fix this yet.

Paul VW
November 23rd, 2008, 11:07 AM
metacity worked, but when I closed the terminal window I lost it.

when I re-opened terminal, I now cant type in it. time for a reboot I think.

I have a onboard card on a dell desktop, been using ubuntu for 3 years never touched the graphical setup

lswest
November 23rd, 2008, 11:10 AM
metacity worked, but when I closed the terminal window I lost it.

when I re-opened terminal, I now cant type in it. time for a reboot I think.

I have a onboard card on a dell desktop, been using ubuntu for 3 years never touched the graphical setup

if you run it from the alt+F2 dialog (run command) it will run in the background. If that solves it for you it should work after every reboot, if not add it to the sessions menu under System-->Preferences-->Sessions

pixelstuff
November 23rd, 2008, 11:14 AM
look in the system-> preferences -> compizconfig settings manager if you have "windows decorations" under "effects" activated, if not do so. If you have to install it it is called "Advanced Desktop Effects Settings" in the Add/Remove app.

chuckyp
November 23rd, 2008, 11:16 AM
Its a problem with your window decorations. As others have suggested I would hit alt+F2 and type in metacity --replace . Also you may want to go to Preferences > Appearance there should be a tab called "Visual Effects" turn them off for the time being. Untill you get your video card issues sorted out.

Paul VW
November 23rd, 2008, 11:24 AM
if you run it from the alt+F2 dialog (run command) it will run in the background. If that solves it for you it should work after every reboot, if not add it to the sessions menu under System-->Preferences-->Sessions

i tried that a few weeks ago......

got metacity running as a session now, and that seems to work.

I have noticed that compared to my account this one seems to pause when starting up, I dont know if that has something to do with it

oh and the output of uname -r is 2.6.27-7-generic

lswest
November 23rd, 2008, 11:27 AM
i tried that a few weeks ago......

got metacity running as a session now, and that seems to work.

I have noticed that compared to my account this one seems to pause when starting up, I dont know if that has something to do with it

oh and the output of uname -r is 2.6.27-7-generic

sudo lshw -C Display could give us a bit more info about drivers. As a comparison, could you post the output of the same results from your account (which, I believe, runs fine?) as well?

Paul VW
November 23rd, 2008, 11:32 AM
right from my wifes account I get this:

*-display UNCLAIMED
description: VGA compatible controller
product: 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 2
bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
version: 02
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list
configuration: latency=0

and mine:
*-display UNCLAIMED
description: VGA compatible controller
product: 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller
vendor: Intel Corporation
physical id: 2
bus info: pci@0000:00:02.0
version: 02
width: 32 bits
clock: 33MHz
capabilities: pm bus_master cap_list
configuration: latency=0

lswest
November 23rd, 2008, 11:37 AM
Well, that didn't quite do what I expected :P I was expecting there to be a driver= line, but there isn't in either. I'm not sure, but if it's working for now, I'd stick with that and wait to see if anyone else can give you a more thorough explanation of what went wrong.

Paul VW
November 23rd, 2008, 11:41 AM
I have noticed another problem since the upgrade to 8.10, thats I am no longer able to switch user, I have to log out, I dont know if thats related.

lswest
November 23rd, 2008, 11:43 AM
Well if you upgraded it might have caused a few problems, a fresh install could possibly fix it for you, but if you don't want to do that then I'm also pretty sure someone here has a fix for you.