PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Program Files

icyest
November 23rd, 2008, 09:24 AM
What's the Linux equivalent of the famous "Program Files" directory that windows has? I installed a program called MPlayer through Applications>Add/Remove, and now I cant find it under "Sound & Video"

OutOfReach
November 23rd, 2008, 09:27 AM
Program files are usually scattered around various places, mainly /usr/share/
and executables, which launch the program, is usually in /usr/bin (which might be what your looking for)

I know there is a command in Ubuntu to list the installed files for a program, but I don't use Ubuntu so maybe someone else can provide that command.

nhasian
November 23rd, 2008, 10:37 AM
OutOfReach,

I think your talking about dpkg.

for example if you want to know what package the program /bin/bash comes from you would use:

dpkg -S /bin/bash

it will tell you the package is called bash. then to see all the files that come in the package bash you would enter type:

dpkg -L bash

I know there is a command in Ubuntu to list the installed files for a program, but I don't use Ubuntu so maybe someone else can provide that command.

Michael.Godawski
November 23rd, 2008, 10:42 AM
You can also find all files belonging to an application through the synaptic package manager.

Just open it up, right click on an installed application, go to properties, and then go to
Installed Files.

zvacet
November 23rd, 2008, 11:49 AM
@ icyest

System>preferences>main menu and there on the left side select sound & video and on the right side new item.Launcher will pop up and under command put gmplayer %F and icon is under usr/share/pixmaps .Of course you will give your program a name Mplayer.

Paqman
November 23rd, 2008, 12:01 PM
On Linux you don't need to know the full path to launch an application. You only need to know the name of the package, the system is clever enough to launch it with just that.

Zorgoth
November 23rd, 2008, 12:49 PM
Alt-F2, type the name of the application, and it will almost certainly run it.