PDA

View Full Version : [all variants] Transferring files over network

BetterSense
November 23rd, 2008, 05:22 AM
I have a desktop, with dsl internet, running kubuntu. I also have a wireless router and a laptop with Ubuntu. I want to transfer a whole bunch of video files to the laptop for travel. I could use an external HDD, but there must be a way to transfer them over internet, and now would be a good time to learn how. I'm pretty thick when it comes to networking. These computers aren't officially networked in any way I know of, I just log into my home 'hotspot' with the laptop using the WPA password. I don't have a crossover cable. How can I do this with like FTP or whatever? Do you know of a good how-to? I found this tutorial
http://mybeni.rootzilla.de/mybeNi/2007/how_to_set_up_nfs_and_how_to_share_files_in_a_loca l_network_with_ubuntu_linux/ (http://mybeni.rootzilla.de/mybeNi/2007/how_to_set_up_nfs_and_how_to_share_files_in_a_loca l_network_with_ubuntu_linux/)
but I think I have to do something first to set up a network so that the two computers at least know about each other before I can follow it. Thanks.

handydan918
November 23rd, 2008, 06:44 AM
There are a lot of ways to do this. I like to use ssh and scp.
First, do
sudo apt-get install openssh-server

Then
sudo update-rc.d -f ssh remove && update-rc.d ssh defaults

This wili start the ssh daemon at boot time.

Once that is done, you can copy a file or directory using scp like so:

scp <filename> 192.168.1.2:/home/somelameusername/sometargetdirectory

To copy a directory, do the above with
scp -r

I find that ssh is easient if you use the same username and password on both boxen....

HTH!!

BetterSense
November 23rd, 2008, 07:23 AM
should I do all this on the source computer or the destination computer? Or both? Thanks I'll give it a try.

hyper_ch
November 23rd, 2008, 08:56 AM
a lot simpler than scp all the filenames would be to use sshfs :)

or when you have konqueror in your kubuntu you should use openssh-server and fish://...

handydan918
November 24th, 2008, 05:09 AM
a lot simpler than scp all the filenames would be to use sshfs :)

or when you have konqueror in your kubuntu you should use openssh-server and fish://...
Yeah, heh, everything's easier with konqueror....