PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Save all OS configurations?

Sunshine1987
November 23rd, 2008, 04:19 AM
My friend particularly likes my Ubuntu 8.10 configuations, everything from my default theme and programs all the way to my Firefox tweaks. Is there any way that I can create a LiveCD of my OS that will automatically configure these upon installation? I tried Remastersys Backup, but it tells that it'll take up too much space. I already created a Remastery Dist LiveCD, but it doesn't have all my settings/tweaks immediately following installation. I would also really like to have a backup LiveCD in case my system crashes somehow.

Am I not using the Remastersys Backup mode properly, or is there a better way to do this?

Thanks a lot!

jpkotta
November 23rd, 2008, 05:27 AM
My friend particularly likes my Ubuntu 8.10 configuations, everything from my default theme and programs all the way to my Firefox tweaks. Is there any way that I can create a LiveCD of my OS that will automatically configure these upon installation? I tried Remastersys Backup, but it tells that it'll take up too much space. I already created a Remastery Dist LiveCD, but it doesn't have all my settings/tweaks immediately following installation. I would also really like to have a backup LiveCD in case my system crashes somehow.

Am I not using the Remastersys Backup mode properly, or is there a better way to do this?

Thanks a lot!

It will probably be enough to copy your $HOME, rather than the whole system.

cd /tmp
tar zcf home-$(date +%F).tar.gz . -C $HOME --exclude big_directory_that_I_dont_want_backed_up

Keen101
November 23rd, 2008, 05:35 AM
maybe also copying /usr/lib/firefox in addition to $home. But i don't really know since i've never tried.

jpkotta
November 23rd, 2008, 05:58 AM
maybe also copying /usr/lib/firefox in addition to $home. But i don't really know since i've never tried.

Probably not. Anything in there should have been installed by a package. You can't change it without being root.

Sunshine1987
November 23rd, 2008, 06:49 AM
Thank you for the quick replies! I will take your suggestion, jpkotta, but how would I integrate that into a fresh installation of Ubuntu on a different computer? Also, I'm particularly interested in using Remastersys, if at all possible, to create an actual LiveCD of my distro. Any advice?

jpkotta
November 23rd, 2008, 07:57 AM
On the new machine:

cd
tar xf home-2008-11-13.tar.gz

This will overwrite files that are already in the directory and in the archive. Extract it somewhere else and copy with discretion if this concerns you.

I've never used Remastersys.