PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Sans command line

mwalimu54
November 23rd, 2008, 03:17 AM
I know I risk the wrath of hard-core linuxites, but what's the longest you've gone without using the command line?

The reason for this question is that some newbs don't like the command line. Is it possible for them to go without? I'd like to hear how often the rest of you (especially gui buff's) use it.

I just used it this evening to check how long my system has been up. Otherwise I basically never use it.

Dr Small
November 23rd, 2008, 03:18 AM
I use it just about every 5 minutes. The longest I have went without it? Well, that would most likely be the longest amount of time I have been away from the system. I use the terminal all the time for most all my tasks.

cariboo907
November 23rd, 2008, 03:40 AM
I think I went about 2 hours once, mind you I was running Vista at the time. All kidding aside, you can do every thing using a gui, that you can in a terminal, some times it just takes longer, or you have to click through 2 or 3 menu items before finding the app you are looking for.

Jim

Afkpuz
November 23rd, 2008, 03:51 AM
My roomate, who is a simple end user has gone since his system was installed without using the command line. I find the command line nice and convenient. You don't have to use the command line, but it makes things go alot faster when you know command line stuff.

For example, if I wanted to install vlc using the gui, I'd have to take these steps.

1.) Open synaptic
2.) Search for "vlc"
3.) scroll though all the results and find the real vlc package
4.) Check the box next to it
5.) click apply
6.) Verify that I really want to install the package

Granted, not that big of a deal. But here are the steps for the command line method.

1.) Open terminal
2.) type sudo apt-get install vlc
3.) press "y" to confirm install

Much faster and alot half as many steps. But the great thing is that you don't need the command line, it just helps.

Gannon8
November 23rd, 2008, 04:12 AM
Command line pros:
Faster to do stuff, you don't have to go through menu's and stuff.
Doesn't load unnecessary graphics, so lighter on CPU load
Gets the job done
Standardized (Between Linux, anyway)
Certain programs only work in the command line
It's actually pretty easy when you get used to it.

Command line cons:
You NEED to know what you are doing; No menu's, ect.
Cannot preview graphics (For obvious reasons)
Most of the time (on my 1024x768 CRT, at least) the output gets cut off from the top of the screen
Scares the common person

Command line false myths (as in NONE OF THESE ARE TRUE!):
It is pure black and white
It it only for programmers
There's not many programs for it (Though that is true for windows)

Feel free to add to/split/whatever this list ( I release it under GPL :) ). It is pretty much a list of my opinions.

Ubuntu actually does a nice job of giving you an interface where no command line is necessary, but if you want to get help/compile/follow tutorials/ect, you will need to use the command line. However, most people will type the exact lines you need to enter, but you will need to recognize errors.

Anyway, have a great time with Linux!:popcorn: