PDA

View Full Version : [ubuntu] Still no wifi or nvidia video...arghhh!

kjacobs
November 23rd, 2008, 01:45 AM
I'm not sure why this is being so stubborn....ugggghhh!

I have removed Ubuntu 8.10 and installed Ubuntu 8.04 to attempt to solve my nvidia video card problem. I now see the nvidia driver in the "hardware drivers" under admin, but cannot install them because I do not have an internet connection, yet.

Once again, I cannot seem to get the Gigafast usb wifi adapter working. It is showing 2 available networks, it tries to connect to the networks, but then fails to get a connection. I have even tried a manual configuration and set the information by hand. With WEP and without WEP, doesn't seem to matter. The networks are there, I just can connect to them.

I know the usb adapter works as I use it all the time on a windows machine. It even works (for the most part) on a Puppy linux machine (it doesn't like the WEP, but connects just fine).

Any thoughts for this frustrated noob???

nothingspecial
November 23rd, 2008, 02:19 AM
Stab in the dark here but if you can see your networks then wifi is working there`s just something wrong.

Maybe you should try another network manager. Have a look at this (you will need a wired connnection to install it)

http://wicd.sourceforge.net/

Also be warned, it will remove your default gnome network manager so if it doesn't work you will need a connection (or alot of messing about with usb sticks) to replace it.