PDA

View Full Version : High CPU usage

DougieFresh4U
November 22nd, 2008, 12:42 PM
(My Jaunty testing machine)Is any one else seeing the CPU running at or near 100% ?
This has been causing me problems over the past week and it's been causing me to experience the 'pretty blue screen pattern' and then the error comes up about graphics and running 'low graphics mode'. I have to reboot and all is good for awhile until I start to put a little light work on machine and a repeat happens. I did read in one of the logs that 'CPU usage overload'
Any thoughts on this? Other than that, I have been running Jaunty with out to much drama (had the sound issue, but solved)

ronacc
November 22nd, 2008, 02:06 PM
I'm not seeing that here on 64bit jaunty (amd64x2 cpu) , what does top say is using the cpu most ?

DougieFresh4U
November 22nd, 2008, 02:34 PM
I'm not seeing that here on 64bit jaunty (amd64x2 cpu) , what does top say is using the cpu most ?
Thanks for reply
Please forgive my ignorance, (I have just come home from having back surgery this past week and I amm out of it) but could you provide the code for me to obtain that info?

ronacc
November 22nd, 2008, 02:43 PM
in a terminal window type

and hit return . top ( Table Of Processes) is the terminal equivalent of system monitor , but better , it uses less resources and gives more info .

DougieFresh4U
November 22nd, 2008, 02:57 PM
Well that was simple. must be really out, any ways here it is

ronacc
November 22nd, 2008, 03:07 PM
do that when the cpu usage is high and it will show you what is using most , I see you use Opera , its my browser also and sometimes operapliginwrapper goes berzerk and eats cpu , see if that may be whats happening , I am going to be away for a couple of hours so my next answer may take awhile .

autocrosser
November 23rd, 2008, 01:55 AM
I can second that one--Opera will sometimes go crazy & envelop one of my 4 cpus--

The other place to look is in System>Administration>System Monitor & open the <Processes> tab. You can right-click on a process & <kill> it from there or highlight it & <End Process> with the button at the bottom--See if that helps------

Very handy to stop runaways......

If you are using top you can just open another term & do--- killall opera <return>

ronacc
November 23rd, 2008, 02:43 AM
I have found that when opera starts eating cpu it is (almost) always operapluginwraper and you can kill that without killing opera , and it seeems to have gotten alot better with 64bit flash , I know 2 specific sites that I use that caused it and it was a flash ad on both of them .

autocrosser
November 23rd, 2008, 03:20 AM
Good point--I forgot about that--I just generally look for the 100% process & kill it......

DougieFresh4U
November 23rd, 2008, 04:21 AM
I can second that one--Opera will sometimes go crazy & envelop one of my 4 cpus

It's worse with Swiftfox & Firefox. They open and the fisrt time i srtike keyboard, it goes 'bonkers' and the 'pretty blue pattern' of death appears

autocrosser
November 23rd, 2008, 05:02 AM
You might give Seamonkey a try--I find that it will use the same plugins that Firefox uses, but it "seems" to be a bit more stable...I use Seamonkey 2 testing & it still is a smoother experience......

ronacc
November 23rd, 2008, 05:30 AM
I just installed the ppa version of ff3.1 , I don't know about stability yet but it sure seems fast .
@DougieFresh4U what is top telling you is hogging the cpu ?

autocrosser
November 23rd, 2008, 05:50 AM
I've been using the testing versions from mozilla.org--they "seem" to work slightly better than the ones we are getting---I took your suggestion & upgraded to testing 3.1b1---You are right!!! It's much faster!!

We'll see how stable it is.......

DougieFresh4U
November 23rd, 2008, 03:33 PM
I just installed the ppa version of ff3.1 , I don't know about stability yet but it sure seems fast .
@DougieFresh4U what is top telling you is hogging the cpu ?

I thank you for your concern.
I haven't quite figured it out yet. I am giving a screenshot here showing CPU being 'jumpy' and only 'Opera' is running with the forum page up. The 'Proccess' shows all sleeping. As expected, when I went to 'Manage Attachments' and the little window popped up, I clicked 'browse' and my 'pretty blue pattern n' appeared and I had to reboot. If you have any 'codes' or suggestions I might try, I'd appreciate.
Thanks

ronacc
November 23rd, 2008, 03:53 PM
you need to look at your processes to see which is spiking the cpu , I had opera choke on manage attachments a few weeks back but it cleared itself after an update and it didn't take down my system . try disabling plugins in opera and see what happens .

DougieFresh4U
November 25th, 2008, 01:59 PM
I forgot that I had Fluxbox installed so I gave it a shot and using Opera and my 'blue pattern/crashes' have become less frequent. I am hoping that when the .8 kernel is all available ( I only see parts of it in Synaptic) that the problem will resolve itself.
Firefox caused CPU usage to go overboard, but using Fluxbox I was able to use it and have two tabs running, but I'm not gonna tease my machine, and I shall stick with Opera until...

ronacc
November 25th, 2008, 04:03 PM
I do notice that most of the problems I have with Operapluginwraper are caused by certain websites that have embeded flash adds .